View Single Post
Old Saturday, May 23, 2009

Engr.Aftab will become famous soon enough

A-O-A

I have gone through all the posts sent by the worthy members. All the members have discussed the things according to their own experience and ideas. Definitely JISAY AZMAYA USI PAI AITBAR HAI. All has given the valuable tips for improving the English. English language can b improved by writing,reading,speaking,listening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramshakhan

According to my experience,
get a good basic english grammer and read it carefully.
Start watching and listening BBC. If BBC is not available, then any movie on star world or etc( I use to watch a movie daily on star movies or star world and listen carefully).
Read out english digest or newspaper loudly, it will help U alot.
Try to do conversation in english with ur friends or family for some time daily.

One thing more, Spoken English is some what diffrent from written english in a way that mostly in normal conversation, there is less emphasize on grammar e.g, in routine, people say , "I wanna go" but while writing U cant do that. So, just with little effort U can improve ur english.
All the best.
All the tips are accepted by the members but the the objection over watching movies still prevails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.atifrana
@Ramsha

I think it is wasting of time watching eng movies.

rgds
Dear it depends upon the person himself, whether he wants to get benefit of learning English or he watches only for fun! As I have studied in few English language centres and they use cassettes, cds, movies etc for teaching their students.wotever knowledge I got from few sources abt learning English through movies/English programmes/bbc,I will mention that in the end so plz go through that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G.AsgharMemon
Ramsha :- i think if spoken language is in practice in its distorted form then it can penetrate into written express unless if u keep urself on watch. Movie watching can improve ur accent, and real script of story or novel is changed or modified in dramatized scene for the sake of simplcity and easy understanding and meeting fashion of language....words that are common in use or catchphrases... these may be deleterious. watch movies only for improvment of accent.
@ dratifrana:- mostly history films r distorted according to formation of public openion. You are right that wren and martin is good book. and one should spare his time on course books and enhancing concepts in correct manner.
It is not only accent,but by watching movies one can improve vaocab, structure, ideoms, phrases, et c.watching historical movies one can improve knowledge aswel along with language. I suggest that if one watches any movie, for an hour,having good story than he can improve his language aswel.
It is not neccessary only movie but one can watch differnet english programmes about general knowledge or current affairs, bbc world etc. From watching movies, the aim is listening english. And by listening one can improve, no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisalmemon
@ Ramsha Khan
Nevertheless, I am of opinion that one should not overrule English grammar. The reason is that English is not our mother language. And it should not make excuse that English people avoid grammar; so we may follow them. I think it is folly rather than wisdom in this regard. To get perfection either in written or spoken; we must follow grammatical rules of English language. It is unfortunate and dilemma, that we committed errors and blunders in this respect.
It is my humble view, you may differ with me.

Regards
Faisal Ahmed.
Dear who says that one should over rule the English grammer? Wotever posts are sent by the all worthy members, they all have mentioned first the name of English grammer book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramshakhan

According to my experience,
get a good basic english grammar and read it carefully. .
By reading that grammar book, u need not to follow any one who avoid grammar in speaking. only it is said that in spoken there is little bit flexibility. And every one have mentioned the grammar book so by that v can improve a lot. Few worthy members have mentioned all the sources through which one can improve language.
According my experience one must follow all the sources through which he can improve his language. Now lets discuss that how one can improve language by watching movies/bbs/English programmes etc

Learning English by watching movies/BBC/english programmes
BY listening BBC u can not only improve ur english language but current affairs, world knoledge etc aswel. So it is also advisable to listen the bbc.
watching English movies is favourite practicing tool, the most entertaining and an almost inexhaustible resource. Clearly there are enormous benefits from watching English movies on a daily basis. First you get lots of correct English sentences into your head. Then you can imitate them and you can make your own sentences. That is why watching movies, just like reading books, is such a great way to learn English. You can learn more about how getting correct sentences into your head improves your English. learn what words they use and how they say these words. Movies let you improve your pronunciation, not only grammar and vocabulary. If you are playing the movie from computer CD or DVD that is more beneficial because you can stop it whenever you don't understand a sentence. You can then play the sentence many times and perhaps you'll be able to understand all the words in the sentence. Pay attention to interesting things: new words,ideoms, phrases, and grammar structures. You can stop the movie to look up difficult words. You can also write down all the interesting sentences, and look them up later. But do use your dictionary.
In the I would say that every one has right to express his vws according to his/her own experience.And it is requested to all that please do not criticise any member, do not take any thing personal and do not make an issue of a little thing otherwise that would confuse the question which was asked. The question is how to improve english language.
regards
ramshakhan (Saturday, May 23, 2009)