View Single Post
Old Monday, May 25, 2009
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Gold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated services

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,006 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom

EVERYDAY SCIENCE PAPER 1997

Note: Attempt TEN questions. All questions carry equal marks. Draw diagrams where necessary. Negative marking would be done for incorrect answers in Question Nos. 13 and 14.

1. Discuss the role and achievements of Muslim physicists during the 10th century.

2. Explain the structure of Earth and its atmosphere.

3. Write short notes on any two of the following
(i) Solar eclipse
(ii) Thermoplastics
(iii) Non-renewable energy resources.

4. What are pesticides? Discuss their classification, commonly in use with agronomists.

5. What is the difference between

(i) BIT and BYTE
(ii) RAM and ROM
(iii) C.U. and A.L.U
(iv) Hardware and Software
(v) Personal computer and mainframe

6. Explain any five of the following terms (innot more than four lines each):

(i) Osmosis glycolysis
(ii) Phototaxis
(iii) Transpiration
(iv) Saponification
(v) Emulsion

7. Fill in the blanks

(i) A sheet of muscles called ___________ separates the chest from the abdomen.

(ii) In the human body, blood-clotting factor is produced by the ___________

(iii)Human blood is able to carry large amounts of oxygen because of the chemical ___________.

(iv)The living part of a plant cell is composed of a nucleus and ___________.

(v) The pattern for building protein molecules is stored in the ___________.

(vi) Anvil and stirrup are names of bones present in the ___________.

(vii) The front of the eye is covered with a tough transparent material called ___________.

(viii) The young plant inside a grain of wheat is called the ___________

(ix) In born behaviour that involve only one part of the body are called ___________

(x) The smallest branches of an artery lead into tiny blood vessels called ___________.

8. What are Exocrine glands? Give names of any four along with the name of their secretion.

9. Which quantity do the following units measure:

(i) Volt
(ii) Coloumb
(iii) Walt
(iv) Ohm
(v) Mho
(vi) Ampere
(vii) Dyne
(viii) Celcius
(ix) Joule
(x) Calorie

10. Give scientific reasons (in not more than four lines each) for the following:

(i) Meat takes longer to cook on the mountains
(ii) Water remains cool in earthen pitchers
(iii) Ice and salt mixture is used as a freezing agent by manual ice cream makers.
(iv) It is not advisable to sleep under trees during the night.
(v) Greenhouse operators paint their glass roofs white in summer.

11. Which par/organ of the human body do the following belong:

(i) Eustachian tube
(ii) Cartilage
(iii) Auricle
(iv) Tendon
(v) Dendrites

12.Briefly describe the solar system. Name its members outlines the main characteristics of any two members.

13. Fill in the blanks.

(i) Insulin is produced in the human body by the ___________. (Liver, Pancreas, Gallbladder)

(ii) In an animal cell protein is synthesized in the ___________. (Nucleus, Mitochondria, Ribosome)

(iii) Chemically finger nails are made up of ___________. (Carbohydrate, Protein, Minerals)

(iv) Muscle stiffness is a symptom caused by the disease ___________ (Polio, Tetanus, Rabies)

(v) Animals which obtain their food from dead organisms are called ___________. (Carnivores, Scavengers, Saprophytes)

(vi) ___________ is not affected by cooking. (Ascorbic acid, Thiamin, Riboflavin)

(vii) Rickets is caused by the deficiency of vitamin ___________. (A, D, K)

(viii) The number of chromosomes in the spermatozoa is ___________ (Twenty-two, twenty-three, Forty-six.

(ix) The fat in our food is digested by the enzymes ___________. (clipase, lactase, trypsin)

(x) The most abundant element in the human body is ___________. (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen)

14. Which of the following statements are false and which are true.

(i) Sound is a form of energy
(ii) A fraction of sunlight is refracted as it enters the earth’s atmosphere.
(iii) The energy possessed by a water fall is kinetic energy.
(iv) Rainbows are produced by the reflection of light through raindrops.
(v) Light switches in our homes are connected in parallel series.
(vi) Generators convert mechanical energy into electricity.
(vii) Modern incandescent bulbs contain filaments made of copper.
(viii) A steam engine cannot be powered by fossil fuels.
(ix) Nuclear energy is a cheap source of abundant electricity.
(x) Oil bulbs cleaner and is less damaging to the environment than coal as a fuel.

Match words of List A with those of List B

A
Protein
Magnesium
Carotene
Bauxite
Haemitite
Casein
Pancreas
Quartz
Chlorofluorocarbon
Urea

B

Fat
Milk
Ozone
Nitrogen
Amino acid
Vitamin A
Aluminium
Chlorophyll
Iron
Silicon

Alina Rasheed (Wednesday, February 20, 2013), Eager (Wednesday, May 22, 2013), Mehwish Pervez (Wednesday, February 13, 2013)