View Single Post
Old Friday, May 29, 2009

venomencer is on a distinguished road
Default "6236" not "6666"

Most of us are told by self proclaimed "mullas" and "aalims" that holy quran has 6666 verses which, infact, is not true. I still remeber that episode of "neelam ghar" (now "tariq aziz show") in which a question about the number of quranic verses was asked. The answer was as usual 6666 and it was held true. To my amazement even some booklets boasting to throw some light on quran carry same information. I have counted it (number of verses of quran) 3-4 times and every time the result was "6236".
One more point to ponder. In surah fatiha (chapter 1) "Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi" is counted as a verse (ayat) but not in other surahs. Is "Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi" a verse of fatiha alone? If alone, then why it is obligatory to recite it before every surah except surah al-tawba (also surah Barāat; Chapter-9). And if it is a part of every surah (if revealed with each suarh every time) then why don't we count it while counting verses of quran? If it is a part of each surah then why don't we recite it ("Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi") after surah fatiha in namaz (salah)?
Share your valuable knowledge. Waiting for your reply. May ALLAH bless u all.