Thread: So That /and So
View Single Post
Old Sunday, April 09, 2006
Economist In Equilibrium
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: she won the Essay competitionBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2006

Qurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura about

free thinker,
your reply just illustrated 'so that' situation, you didn't give any sound illustration of 'and so'

Quote:
Originally Posted by free thinker
1. "so that" for the purpose clauses; "so that" is also used, especially with a comma, to inform a result.

2. "So that" can denote a result or logical consequence; so it would seem to be ok here.

And some extra sentences supporting "SO THAT" expressing result or consequences:

The doctor explained the nature of my illness in medical terms, so that I didn’t understand fully. [result]

The doctor explained the nature of my illness in medical terms so that I wouldn’t understand fully. [purpose]

She studied very little ,so that she got a rather low grade. [result]They bought a large house, so that the children had their own rooms [result]

Many contestants later failed drug tests, so that the race had to be rerun. [result]
secondly, i agree with naveed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamgirian

dear free thinker...u may be right, but can you plz mention the original source on the basis of which you can justify your assertions? i think without mentioning your source your affirmations will be all but blurred distractions for all of us....and 1 more thing :don't mention internet sources especially based on American lexicons and etymologies, for they have got a bit of shift from the course of action which we are supposed to undertake while learning english,,,,so plz come up with the original sources ...and i hope you will entertain this exhortion from my side...i'm still an immature learner, so if you enlighten me with some new facts which i have been ignorant of so far, then it will really be great of you
with all the regards and prayers ,,,your brother naveed

Regards
Qurat