View Single Post
Old Sunday, October 04, 2009
38th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit  31

Abdullah Nayyar will become famous soon enoughAbdullah Nayyar will become famous soon enough

We have seen some strong arguments from the proponents and the opponents of the bill. Some of the points/questions that come to my mind are

Yes we need economic aid for development but is this a fair bargain?
I believe we have not been provided any aid by Friends of Pakistan so far in order to weaken our bargaining position in accepting Kerry-Lugar Bill.

As front line state in War against Terror, Pakistan deserves more. Pakistan has suffered more than this bill promises in terms of monetary losses and human lives. Owing to our success in recent counterinsurgency operations in Swat, Pak Army has demonstrated its resolve and effectiveness compared to incompetence of US-ISAF forces in Afghanistan. We are doing the job and should be in a better bargaining position. They need us from what I understand since we have the heart to go out there and fight when NATO forces argue who should go in the field and encounter Taliban.

Giving so much leverage to US especially when they seem to be at the end of their Afghan adventure does not sound like a great idea. As Saleeqa Batool quoted one of the conditions from DAWN Editorial

HTML Code:
Pakistan’s cooperation in dismantling nuclear supply networks and combating terrorist groups and ensuring that the security forces do not subvert the judicial and political processes in the country
The word cooperation will include all that we have been denying them so far. Substituting A.Q.Khan's name with 'anyone involved in proliferation activities' gives them the required scope.

Who will be the judge that security forces do not subvert judicial and political processes?US? From what I know they have always been hand in glove with all our military dictators. I might be unduly surprised at this since they have been micro-managing us for decades but this document definitely gives this apprehension a legal cover. And surrendering everything for just a meagre $1.5 billion a year. Whats that compared to what Zardari has been asking for $100 billion.

I don't blame Americans for ruining us every time they need our services. They are looking out for their interests. As a Pakistani I expect more from my democratically elected government especially the guys watching out for our interests in Washington. Just look at the 'Muridke' condition, I mean how does an Indian demand make it into a bill intended to help us. Where are our lobbyists?