View Single Post
Old Friday, October 30, 2009
38th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit  31

Abdullah Nayyar will become famous soon enoughAbdullah Nayyar will become famous soon enough

@Shahid Ali

Bro I have given some thought to the whole concept of democracy's failure in a country like Pakistan and a system that would be feasible for a developing country like us. I couldn't help but agree with your suggestions though there are some issues relating to practical implementation of them as you pointed out some of them.

Dynastic politics has been a norm rather than exception in South Asia.
Our people have manifested over the years that they are not sagacious enough to elect a competent and sincere ruler. But then again when you see the candidates in an election rarely would you come across a person who qualifies as a philosopher king or a sincere leader. It has got to be someone from one of the big families in the concerned province.

In this scenario a benevolent dictatorship would sound best for us. A person with nobody to please and strong enough to assert his will and improve the lot of the people. The whole problem lies in how would that come into existence. I couldn't come up with a procedure for that so as much as I hate democracy I still have to go with the prevailing system with the modifications that you suggested.

Proper checks and balances resulting in an accountable system along with the radical eligibility criteria suggested by you can serve as a safeguard of rights of millions. The end of our accountability system should not be just prosecution but persecution. I believe reducing the term of a government to 2-2.5 years will result in early elections and allow people to change the government. This will keep governments in check and they will divert their attentions to ameliorating the lot of the people rather than making personal contacts with the 'friendly countries' a.k.a. US.

There is a lot that can be done if only will was there. A government respected in the eyes of the people will not be fearful of the Army.

God Bless Pakistan!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abdullah Nayyar For This Useful Post:
Last Hope! (Friday, October 30, 2009)