View Single Post
Old Saturday, November 07, 2009
37th Common
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008 - Merit 63Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

leopard has a spectacular aura aboutleopard has a spectacular aura aboutleopard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunko View Post
Try to boil it down,

Exercise # 04
Page : 45

Ghandi does not reject machinery as such. He observes: How can I be against all machinery, When I know that even this body is a most delicate piece of machinery ? The spinning wheel is a machinery, a little tooth-pick is a machine. What I object to is the craze for machinery not machinery as such. The craze is for what they call labour saving machinery. Men go on "Saving Labour " till thousands are without work and thrown on the open streets to die of starvation. I want to save time and labour not for a fraction of mankind but for all. I want the concentration of wealth, not in the hands of a few but in the hands of all. Today machinery merely helps a few to ride on the back of millions. The impetus behind it all is not the philanthropy to save labour but greed. it is against this constitution of things that I am fighting with all my limbs of man. factories run by power driven machinery should be nationalized, self-controlled. The Supreme consideration is man.

Regards,

Ghandi was not opposed to machinery but of its unfettered pursuit. In his view, even if mechanization was economical yet it caused unemployment and catalyzed poverty. Since his focus was emancipation of a common man therefore Ghandi was a strong advocate of circulation of wealth and Nationalization of industries, for which he toiled laboriously.

Title:
  1. Ghandi: A great philanthropist
  2. Popular Misconception about Ghandi
Selected Title: Ghandi: A great Philanthropist
acme (Sunday, November 08, 2009), Csp (Wednesday, November 11, 2009)