View Single Post
Old Monday, November 16, 2009
37th Common
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008 - 4th in Sindh UrbanMedal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Arif Rao is a jewel in the roughArif Rao is a jewel in the roughArif Rao is a jewel in the rough
Default Interview... continued:

Some Important Common Questions:

There are a few important questions that one should prepare. Such questions include:

Why do you wish to go for CSS?
What are the three major charms of a this job in your mind?
Don't you think you are depriving you country of a professional (If you are an engineer/doctor/lawyer etc.)?
Why do you prefer to go for __ group?
If we give you some other group, what would you do?
If you fail to get any group in CSS, what would you do then?
There is so much corruption in bureaucracy, what woud you do there?
If you work under a strict but corrupt officer who asks you to do unlawful things, what would you do? (If you reply that I will not do that) Then how will you survive?

You should think over different questions of this type and prepare your answers. There is no problem if they argue with you more and more. You should keep your stance and not leave it easily if you think it is right. A friend of mine had an argument with the chairman and he continued to defend his position for a quite long time. He told me he was thinking in his mind that his answers have not been able to convince the panel but he kept his nerves cool. Finally, his score was excellent in the interview.
Giving logic and reasons is must but at the same time listening to their counterarguments and replying them is also a tact. If sometime you find yourself cornered and their arguments seem much stronger and realistic, then have no hesitation in accepting this fact. You can say, 'Sir, your points are valid and I sure will review my stance'. If they give you an opinion on an issue which you completely disagree, refuse it politely. For instance you can say, 'Sir I respect this opinion but I have a quite different viewpoint'.

Sometimes the panel asks you, 'Which topic would you like to talk about?' or 'What is your area of interest?' For such questions you should prepare a topic (e.g. 'Economic challenges of Pakistan' or 'War on terror' or 'Future of democracy in Pakistan' or 'US foreign policy' or 'Global food crisis'...) with special care so that you can talk on all the dimensions of that issue.
Another example of questions is like 'What is the most important issue of Pakistan?' or 'Which is the biggest threat to Pakistan?' You should be able to give sound logic and reasons for your choice in such cases and you should have a solution for that in your mind as well.
abeerseh (Monday, November 16, 2009), aniya warraich (Sunday, November 25, 2012), emmjay (Monday, November 16, 2009), hamza (Tuesday, November 17, 2009), Kashif Jamil (Monday, November 16, 2009), Sajid Sadeem (Wednesday, November 18, 2009), Seemab (Saturday, October 13, 2012), versatile_bhutto (Monday, November 16, 2009), Waseem Riaz Khan (Tuesday, November 17, 2009)