View Single Post
Old Friday, January 29, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,478 Times in 681 Posts
Zoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud of

Quote:
posted By Bunko
According to my knowledge, I think Dower is not a problem but a precaution against injustice to women. In contemporary world, Few groups criticize high dower issue and consider it as a burden and injustice to man to pay dower. But if we look into our Past.During the reign of Khulfa-I-Rashdeen, When Hazrat Umar (R.A) decided in meeting to cap the limit of dower, at that point, Few women present in that meeting, criticize Hazrat Umar (R.A) and said, " Who You are decide to Cap limits of Dower, even When Allah and His Rasool (PBUH) never talked about any such thing." At that point Hazrat Umer (R.A) took his decision back and give decree not to cap the limit of dower
@ Bunko
You are right about Hazrat Umar (R.A) example, but the thing which i want to clear here that I have enough knowledge about Shariah perspective about practices of Mahr (dower)

Proof that the Mahr is Obligatory

Allah says in the Qur'an:

{And give the women their dower with a good heart...} An-Nisaa:4

The Minimum Amount of the Dowry

The minimum dowry is ten dirham (somewhere around ten dollars or the price of a goat today). This is based on the hadith:

"La mahra aqallu min 'asharati dirham."
"There is no mahr less then ten dirhams."

While Ibn Hajr found this hadith to be "hassan", most other scholars of hadith judged it as weak. Also, it is in contradiction to the hadith about the iron ring - which would not have been worth that amount.

In the hadeeth of ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir radiallaahu ‘anhu, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “The best dowry is that which is easy.” This was narrated by Abu Daawood and al-Haakim who authenticated it. And once a woman offered herself to the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam for marriage. However, one of his Companions desired to marry her, so the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said [regarding the mahr]: “Bring something, even if it be an iron ring.” So when he could not find even this, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam married them for the dower that the man would teach whatever of the Qur’aan he knew to her.

Your view is right but i wanted here to point out social problems created by Dower in some cases. As I clear in my questions that has dower become a problem?? So it indicates that what about our recent practices? How we people are taking it?Is it easy in recent practices or it has become a status symbol or matter of show off in case of high amount?

@ All
Respected members!!

Dowery is something different please dont mix dower with dowery thats why i cleared it with Arabic terminology (Haqq Mahr)

And one more thing which i wanted to say that some people are of the view that dower is not cause or reason of late marriages. I personally observed an engagement where it created problem at the end. And that engagement broke only because of high demand of dower by girls family. So cases vary area to area and family to family....but we cannot generalize one example to all.

In addition to that purpose of my question requires to point out different cases through which we know that if its creating a problem then what are the factors behind it?, ur experiences regarding dower, your observations etc.Then at the end i'l be conclude your views.

Its my humble request to all of you members that come foreword and please stick to the topic dowry is another big discussion.I did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings here but i want to be more specific to my query.

Regards,
Zoyee

@ Last Island

Thanks for your views and opinion regarding this topic i am greatful to you but please add more if you have any observation regarding social practices of dower (Mahr) in our society.

Thanks,
Regards,

Zoyee
dr.atifrana (Friday, January 29, 2010), nageen (Friday, January 29, 2010)