View Single Post
Old Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Muser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omer View Post
Can geography be prepared "effectively" without any prior background in this subject?

Fellows! please share your valuable experience/strategy and tips.
Bro, I myself went through such bouts of doubt all along, esp in the start.

My reason was failing to find the proper books to make the task of reading easy and fun. I can't study well from the local cut-paste books, though they are very handy. Their main flaw lies in the lack of proper relevant figures and pics. I absorb visual impressions more than anything. I agree with Kashif Ilyas; the more we visualize it, the better its implanted in our long term memory.

I came across deBlij's Physical Geography late and to my amusement, I found that most of Bajwa has been written from its 1996's 2nd edition. Its reader-friendly style made it all bearable and its has the added advantage now of having its pocket book in Bajwa's shape. I guess you too have done this combo, isn't it?

I saw Strahler but it was too much. Goh Chen Leong is good, but I find it deficient.

For paper 2, I have straightaway followed deBlij and Fazal Karim.

Now for us, the irony of Geography is that the very reason for which we opted it can go against it. Being a conceptual-cum-factual subject, it might become difficult at times for an 'outsider'. But as per my experience, the best thing about Geography is that it has the best available stuff available on net, I love it for this fact and it makes all this self-teaching a bit interesting.

Being a medical background aspirant, I find it very much the same; the more I revise it, the better it gets. Multiple effective revisions will be the key of mastery for the cramming part.

The scoring thing, well that depends on many a things besides our understanding and preparation. If the papers aren't much atypical, then it will be no surprise for an outsiders like us to score 140 +.

Rest, we rest our case with Allah. Never have I been such a believer or a humble guy as this exam's preparation is making me, Rabe zidni ilma, I think this dua was meant for CSS exam = )

What has been your experience so far?
Omer (Wednesday, June 09, 2010)