View Single Post
Old Sunday, July 09, 2006
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Medal of Appreciation

Khuram is on a distinguished road

Well, in my opinion, Pakistan is not a failed state but a degree of mismanagement does exist. Improvement in foreign exchange figures does not rightly depict the state of country's economy. But it is equally wrong to say that there has been no poverty reduction. Miss Mahrukh has quoted the issue of rising prices of petroleum but she has ignored the issue of decreasing prices of the tele-communication facilities. Pakistan is facing intense electricity shortage problem due to such reasons that per capita demand of electricity has crossed the available generation facilities. Pakistani population is consuming more electricity than ever before.

I have discussed the issue of the relationship of 'improved' government budget figures and the over-all economy of country in a thread about privatization of Pakistan steel Mills. Although the sale of steel mills now has been declared void by supreme court, but the discussion in that thread had been quite general and relates to the ongoing contention of this thread.

See my posts in following pages:

Discussion Page-1

Discussion Page-2

I am having the opinion that only improved government budget figures do not necessarily correspond to the improvement in the over-all economy. The same issue has been discussed in the above referred links.

Thanks!