View Single Post
Old Wednesday, June 30, 2010
38th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit  31

Abdullah Nayyar will become famous soon enoughAbdullah Nayyar will become famous soon enough

@Sheda

Sure we can connect on hotmail sometime. I sent you a request.

@Zubair Rana

Thanks and yes I prepared from those two Majumdar books you mentioned but I read some interesting facts/stories about the important topics to spice things up. So, I guess its possible to score that much by building your base by those books and doing some reading over the internet. Here is a good website http://www.ushistory.org/us/

@Muser

Thanks and yes I hate Pol.Science
Karguzaari is an interesting one and full of lessons for me as I believe I could have done things with much more ease and better but then again I was almost a lone soul in a small town.

I think this space is for sharing DMCs so will share it with you some other time.

Thanks for the best wishes and remember me in your khasusi duwayein.

Best of Luck for your attempt.

@Jadoon Khan

Dera manana!Thanks for your kind words. I know you didn't ask me this but since there is still plenty of time I think it'll be better if you can get rid of Pol.Sc. and Const.Law and go for something like Islamic/IndoPak History with Forestry, Journalism. The preparation I hear is not that much for the last two and the first two being history are Okay as well. I think that's what I would've done the next time considering a very low ceiling for average scores in these
subjects.

1. I didn't use any extraordinary sources, tried to keep my sources limited as well but if you can get hold of notes from any academy etc. better give them a reading.

-Pol.Science
Paper A - Sages of the Ages, Muslim Political Thought (MA Chaudhary), Mazharul Haq's book

-Const. Law and Pol.Science B
World Constitutions (S.L.Kaely), Constitutions book by MazharulHaq, Internet for Turkish, Iranian, Chinese constitutions

-Pushto
Pohana plus browsed through two books on Rahman Baba and Khushal Khattak available at Pushto Academy written by some MA Pushto

-US History
GOTO @Zubair Rana

-Int'l Relations
Sultan Khan book plus Amir Shehzad book on IR to some extent and extensive reading on the internet from different sites like wikipedia, CFR etc.

2-3. Tough question. I don't know if I can serve as an inspiration since I didn't lock myself up in a room and studied for half the length of the day. I used to study 7hrs at most plus read DAWN in detail and watched football every weekend. I studied what I felt like studying on a day rather than following a schedule. I had no notes so prepared them myself from different books which is possible in given time but you must leave the last month for revision. I mostly go for underlining stuff in books rather than writing them in a separate notebook as it saves time.

Except for Pol.Science, you can come up with important topics in subjects like Pushto, US History and cover IR topic wise. You can set a deadline for covering those while tackling the tough guy Pol.Sc. which I am sure you will have no problem with considering your background. I was okay with it but what frustrated me was Political thought portion as it required preparation equal to atleast a subject of 100marks but that won't be a problem with you I
guess.

4. I wasn't satisfied with my first attempt since I committed many mistakes which you might expect from a beginner with little practice. Like I attempted essay on 'Future of Democracy in Pak' and wrote 15 pages about history of democracy in pak and finishing off with about 2 pages on the real topic and look where it has landed me. But that is because it was the first time I was writing an essay and it was in exam so my bad. I did my high school education from US so I guess I spent very little time on English. I was fluent in writing decent english (anyone can after reading DAWN for months) but I would spend more time on background of issue etc.(basically forcing examiner to hear me out on stuff I spent so much time studying-not recommended) than answering the real question.

I spent a lot of time on Pol.Science and I guess didn't add quotations in any paper (so I hear you can score more with that). I didn't score well in Pol.Sc. so I guess you can seek advice on it from an expert in the subject. In order to make up for my rusty memorizing skills (coz of engineering background) I would make up for quotations by adding some interesting facts like by commenting on Depression era US, I would mention Hooverflags(empty pockets coz of unemployment). I hope you are getting my point.

My interview was an interesting one with Board member Asif Shah telling me how did I make it till there and if I could see him sitting infront of me. Then while leaving he said 'you still an unusal man' with a laugh. But Bhagwandas Sb said that it was a privilege to have cleared in the first attempt and appear for CSS at age 24.5(at the time of exam). So it has been a roller coaster ride and I enjoyed it Prayers are very very important!!!

I hope I answered what you were asking but my story is mostly of things not to do primarily because I mostly learnt from my own experience rather than interaction with seniors etc.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Abdullah Nayyar For This Useful Post:
ArifAwan (Thursday, April 21, 2011), GhazMar (Tuesday, June 28, 2016), jadoon khan (Wednesday, June 30, 2010), marwatone (Saturday, December 10, 2011), Muser (Wednesday, June 30, 2010), Omar Qadir (Tuesday, July 20, 2010), zubair rana (Wednesday, June 30, 2010)