View Single Post
Old Sunday, July 04, 2010

Sudhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Thanks for your valuable comments Miss Naqvi. I really appreciate that you have spared some time to comment on my Essay. I would be thankful, if you come up with the outline for this Particular Essay. You are right that this Essay is about how Commission can bring Accountability? I explicitly wrote 3 to 4 pages on it. The outline I reproduced is mere reflection of what I wrote in my paper but it wasn’t the same. But Honestly Speaking I delved a lot in this topic but didn’t come up of what should be the crux and how to crack it. You are respectable senior member and more enlightened so I really respect your valuable contribution. You can go through other outlines in this Forum and solve this conundrum for me and other members, as this topic is quite esoteric. This was my first attempt and it really haunts me that I might have missed the right direction. I have gone through a lot of websites but it is still a dilemma for me.

This was my Introduction
Is it possible for the person who is caught up in the dust storm to inhale pure oxygen? When thick clouds of pungent smoke hover around will there be any safer haven available to inhale pure oxygen? The fact is surrounded by filth, smug and smoke no efforts to remain clean is likely to succeed. In a densely populated urban town no one escape the polluted environment. Our individual, social and political behavior at national level depends on the system in which we are made to spend our lives. Unfortunately system prevalent in Pakistan has taken the whole nation hostage. The system is feudalism with its aversion to democracy. These ground realities leads to the fact that until and unless the system prevalent in Pakistan is not upgraded, we will not be in a position to bring transparency and Accountability in Pakistan.

Commission Part
The government should appoint a commission to prepare a credible and comprehensive National Anti Corruption Strategy which takes in to account proven global practices for presentation to parliament for approval. NAB should be reformed by making it independent, expanding its jurisdiction to all organs of the state and appointing a retired Non PCO Supreme court Judge as its Chairman. The NAB functioning is compromised by having its chairman from within the government ( civil or military), while the appointment of supreme court judge to this position could ensure that the NAB works a depoliticized manner and within the Law.
The NAB chairman and senior management should be appointed for a five year to 7 year non renewable terms, with safeguards to ensure that they cannot be easily removed.
Second the Reformed NAB should engage world class audit firm to conduct an independent audit of all financial returns filled by elected official with the EC with the objective of verifying their reliability and faithfulness especially matching the personal life styles and assets of elected officials with their declared source of income. This exercise is the critical first step in reducing corruption at the top and to bring accountability.
Thirdly NAB should establish a National Call Centre with Toll Free numbers for people to call in to report financial misdoings. The NAB should also partner with the Media in its crusade against corruption.
Fourthly the Public procurement regulatory authority should be strengthened and made independent of the government, starting with appointing as its chairman a person of high integrity and someone who has years of public procurement experience.
And other 3 to 4 pages on Commission role and what it can be done through commission.

Chech out this Miss Naqvi

written by Rishz forum member

Without independent truth-finding commission , accountability is unachievable?

Essay Outline!!

Introduction
What are truth finding institutions?
What is accountability?
Main scheme behind the predicament
Historical Implications and the standard of truth finding institutions in Pakistan
Recent Scenario….. (Judicial set-backs and Government interference)
NRO, the legal protection to corruption
Struggle in discovering independent truth finding commissions cum legal frame works
From 1947-1960(PCA 1947)
From 1961-1988(PPC 1960)
From 1988-1999(CPI, PCPS, NAO)
From 2000-2009(NAB reforms 2002 and police reforms)

The Fault lines behind the grieved situation
Corruption in United India, inherited to Pakistan
Economic problems of people and inflation
Poor standard of life
Meager accountability standards
The highest corrupt institutes in Pakistan (WAPDA, NHA, MWH, POLICE, PUBLIC SERVICES & COURTS…..)
Recent surveys and crying facts and figures
CPI
PCPS
WWGI
TI surveys
Different kinds of corruptions and frauds
Electoral fraud, embezzlement, kickbacks, nepotism, cronyism, petty bribery etc
Government’s attitude of policies to address mismanagement
Effects of the widespread calamity
Domestic corruption rises
Poverty and economic conditions worsen
Inequitable distribution of wealth
Institutes are derailed
Good governance invisible
Undermining FDI, Investment and inflows

Recommendations to improve the aggravated crisis
Independent judiciary and complete check
OMBUDSMAN, AUDITOR GENERAL OF PAKISTAN, NAB to work independently without government’s interference
Media can give a live audit
Transparent parameters and recruitments
E-Governance will bring revolution
Zero tolerance measures
Critical Appraisal

@ Miss Naqvi

If you look at this Essay then it also carries material related to corruption. So I feel this topic was hard to crack and little to write about commission. Look if there would be no independent truth finding commission then there would be no accountability and in effect would lead to corruption. Secondly what commission can do is Important and what will happen without having Independent commission then it will head to Corruption. If corruption topic is too touched lightly then I am worried that 99% of us have missed the right track. You tell what should be the perfect outline with corruption touched lightly as recommended by you.

Last edited by Princess Royal; Sunday, July 04, 2010 at 06:21 PM.