View Single Post
Old Tuesday, November 09, 2010
42nd CTP (PSP)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2013 - Merit 62

umarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknw01 View Post
Heat transfer through radiation primarily takes place in absence of a medium whereas convection always needs a medium to take place. I think the correct answer is convection. Fire does not radiate waves of energy as such like the Sun does for instance; instead it heats the air, and hence convects.
brother to understand the difference, lets analyze it with an example:

you are sitting in front of fire. You feel the intense heat feeling on your face and hands etc etc. this may be covection (as per your reasoning). But why do we forget convection is a circulation of a medium (water or air). so what will happen is that the air near the fire will warm up, rise to the ceiling, and the cold air will be pushed down. thus forming a complete circle.

In such a scenario, your back side should receive more heat than your front side because the air will form a circular flow. Hot air rises. Therefore if we do have that pinching sort of feeling on the faces, it means that we are receiving the radiation, unless ofcourse, convection means shooting hot air at my face