View Single Post
Old Tuesday, November 09, 2010
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 73Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,480 Times in 622 Posts
redmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknw01 View Post
Heat transfer through radiation primarily takes place in absence of a medium whereas convection always needs a medium to take place. I think the correct answer is convection. Fire does not radiate waves of energy as such like the Sun does for instance; instead it heats the air, and hence convects.
Let's analyze this question in the light of definitions of the two terms.

1. Convection:

heat transfer within the atmosphere involving the upward movement of huge volumes of warm air, leading to subsequent condensation and cloud formation

2. Radiation:

i. the emission of energy in the form of rays or waves
ii. energy emitted from a source in the form of rays or waves, e.g. heat, light, or sound
iii. the feeling of something being radiated, e.g. heat from a hot oven

[Source] Encarta®

I think even the layman would be able to know the answer now. It should of course be Radiation.