View Single Post
Old Monday, November 22, 2010
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 73Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,480 Times in 622 Posts
redmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud of

I respect the opinions of you two, yet I disagree to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligentgal View Post
polygamy was allowed for several reasons in 7th century but in the present conditions it is unnecessary to have more than wives.
Brother, I am afraid, in a broader context, you are denying the universality of Islam. An Islamic principle implemented in 7th Century, has its legal status in modern world too. There are exceptions in some sensitive cases to which the authorities in religion have looked into and came up with suggestions. However, with regard to marrying more than one woman (not more than four) has not been contradicted by any Ulema of repute. Your claim that it is unnecessary to have more than one wives may have economical backing, but it certainly lacks theological, moral and social backings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist PU View Post
These are genuine/biological needs and a marriage regulate these needs in the interest of the society. Now if a marriage does not fulfill these needs, what is the use of it ? For that reason the polygamy is allowed in certain situations as in an Islamic society there is no other channel available for the men to fulfill their natural needs, except having more then one wife. That is why it is allowed with some conditions and in certain circumstances.
Polygyny is allowed in Islam for much better reasons than biological only. Biological reasons may not even qualify to be the primary reason for allowing polygyny. They may for the sake of scientific reasoning provide a valid argument. However, in Islam, it is allowed for reasons (i.e supporting a widow, orphan etc) that have been best explained in the post no. 01 of this thread.