Thread: EDS Quiz
View Single Post
Old Friday, January 07, 2011

very special 1 has a spectacular aura aboutvery special 1 has a spectacular aura aboutvery special 1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by umarabbas View Post
Dear, the flask will lose its heat energy to the surroudings through Conduction and Radiation (normally). For example: The flask losing energy to the table on which it is put is conduction and radiation is when it looses its energy to the surroundings.

We need a perfect insulator inside the flask. that's why we see that special spongy type material used in flask. they ensure that little heat is lost via conduction and radiation. the inner part is made shining so as to make the heat energy reflect within the flask. Shinny substances reflect most of the heat and absorb very little. A perfect example could be placing a mirror and a frying pan of steel in the sunlight. it will be observed that the mirror's temperature would be far lesser than the frying pan's temperature. Reason as i stated earlier is that the mirror absorbs less heat and reflects most of it...

i hope i was clear about it!
@ umarabas
but what is role of spongy material in flask i think its vaccum area and what heat lost through it is by convection.
so acctuly all three process of heat transfer is involved in flask.
am i righ?