View Single Post
Old Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough
Default @ All

Dear Usman, css has lost its charm due to governmental negligence. It is by no means a prestigious exam anymore. Quota system, direct recruitments from army introduced by Mr. Ziaul Haq, lateral entry system introduced by Bhutto, devolution plan devised by Musharraf, abrogation of AC, DC posts, and other such steps have stripped the civil services of its active charms. We need reforms, extending age limit is just a trick to attract more people into the civil services.
Are you sure a 35 years old dude has less enthusiasm than a 25 years old chap? I seriously doubt it. Has the world advanced enough to now measure the degree of enthusiasm and inspiration in each individual based on their ages?
All of us have seen the speeches of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and the excessive enthusiasm he was charged with, and hey he was no 25 years old chap rather his children were Bachelors and Masters degrees holders at that time.
What about Martin Luther King and Hitler and many many others who shaped the world politics, the future of generations to come? They were no teenagers.

28 years of age limit for civil services is an implausible argument and put forth by those who fear competition.
Age limit is 59 years in the USA for joining their Foreign Services. Richard Halbrooke was a wise old man (69 years) sent to take care of the diplomatic affairs in pakistan and afghanistan. Trust me that man had more enthusiasm behind his quiet exterior than one can imagine. And don't forget Faiz Ahemd Faiz and other great poets like Allama Iqbal, Ghalib, and their enthusiasm.
Css exams need radical reforms in terms of syllabus, screening tests, psychological procedures, age limit, basic qualification criteria, interview and everything that concern it. Only then it could be called a prestigious exam, a noble career. Unfortunately civil services have become spoils among the few powerfuls in the government who are recruiting their sheep through underhand tactics and that has ruined the image of the whole civil services idea.
Only 7000 students opt for css while there are hundreds of thousands of university going students. What does that prove? Simply that people have lost interest in css and they have lost faith in their country as well. I know of many brilliant students, docs, engineers, lawyers, and others you know position holders in Matric, Fsc, straight As in O and A levels who opted to go to foreign. Well I personally pleaded with some of them to go for css and serve their own country but they wouldn't listen. Pakistan is affected by the worst brain drain. All our competent people go to London, Paris, New york for better life opportunities, for better safety and security living. Pakistan is a known 3rd world country and yes it is far behind those developed countries. But things need to change.
Raising age limit alone won't do the job. If all the graduates from all the professional colleges of pakistan begin to take css only then we could call it a competitive exam. Only then will it display some prestige.
Some people called me a fool when I told them I wanted to join psp and serve the poor people of my 3rd world country. Instead of css, they did Plab and Usmle and left for those cities, far away from these broken roads, these terror afflicted cities of pakistan, these double faced politicians of ours, hypocrite religious muftis and maulvis, far from this country where people were honoring the killer of Governor Panjab with roses, from this place where paedophiles are on the loose, every other day raping and murdering little girls of 4 and 5 years old, this land cursed with sectarianism and countless social evils and blah blah blah. Sir this is the reason all the sane people are leaving for London, Paris and New York where they can lead proper lives, raising their children in safe environment and giving them the best education in the world that there is, in schools and colleges like oxford, cambridge, columbia, harvard, yales, UCLA, london school of economics, imperial college, london school of economics; cities where they can go to theatres, movies premiers, grand musical orchestras without terrorist threats to those places; where they can work from 9 to 5 with dignity and later go fine dining with their spouses in the world's finest restaurants, seeing their kids going to schools and growing up sweet and healthy; leading good rather beautiful lives with loads of beautiful memories.
Salute me man for having the choice of such a life but still I want to stay here in my war trodden country, join only psp to bring some positive changes in the misreable lives of my countrymen, those helpless poor who keep waiting for jutice, who are victimised by our injudicious system, the victims of favouritism, nepotism, feudalism.
I know staying in pakistan and joining psp will be highly a risky job but some people have to give sacrifices, have to sacrifice their own heads to bring the change and you talk of age relaxation being unfair?
Broaden your vision, think in the greater interest of the country, think of those wishing to join civil services purely for the sake of the country. And there are those who would be joining civil services just because they have no other good option to lead their lives with, who just want to get a place to go to and start getting their pay. Reality bites.
Time has come when the two must be demarcated and distinguished from each other-- those who are joining civil services by chance and those who are joining it by choice. I am joining it by choice and having other better choices than css, my choice is my sacrifice too. Pakistan needs sacrifice otherwise one day the world will gather to annihilate it altogether from the face of the earth. Now don't give me your shallow patriotism; wars are won with sacrifices, with sophisticated technologies, with robust economies, with sincere leaderships and not with hollow and misplaed slogans like Pakistan ka matlab kiya......, etc etc. We need to open our eyes, when nuclear weapons will be hurled at pakistan then I don't think angels will come to our rescue, they didn't come to save Baghdad as well.
Extremism, terrorism, corruption, hypocrisy, acts of violence against the freedom of speech, sectarianism, external threat, internal chaos-- these are the identifying traits of pakistan now.

I will conclude with Faiz who had to go into exile for several years to save his life:

NISAAR MEIN TERI GALIYON PE AEY WATAN,
KEH JAHAN RASM CHALI HAI KEH KOI NA SAR UTHA KE CHALAY.
fahadfa (Wednesday, February 09, 2011)