View Single Post
Old Thursday, April 21, 2011
Banned

Sheeraz S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloflyer View Post
dear sheraz,

thanks for reviewing my question... but i think that you have not understood what i wrote...

Society is to blame for intolerance. ..and that was mentioned in the quote. the person who killed the governor was smiling after his arrest and it was because he had implemented his particular intolerant brand of islam. if you read my quotation again then maybe you will see what i wanted to say ...

regarding drone strikes you must know ...that in all the wars , in the end a political solution is reached else simmering anger results in another war. take the case of first world war ...germany was left embittered and again it resulted in world war 2 ...i mentioned that drones will not erase the menace of terrorism , it has to be a political solution. i do not know how can u say that drones are beneficial for pakistan itself ...these may be yielding dividends for american AF-pak policy, but not for pakistan.

P.S . in another post i saw you said that some people have mentioned romantic quotes from shakespeare or aristotle.
any quote if relevant to the subject matter can be quoted ..whether it is aristotle or someone from the carnegie institute. or researchers at george washington uni or a report from IMF.

if aristotle mentions the benefits of education ,then one can quote it anywhere...anyways it's my personal view ...maybe it differs from yours
Buddy, you did it right; however, my point is why does one need a "philosopher" of primitive ages to credence one's arguments in favour of education. Yaar, there's no second opinion about the paramount significance of education, so why do we need a colourful quotes to prove it? Why should not one prefer some facts and figures about existing education system and its comparative analysis with other countries or quoting some research findings about education or literacy rate. Or why not quote what great educationists wrote about poor education in Pakistan and its ramifications. For example,

Does not it sound better if you write:

"According to Oxfam report, Pakistan, which once accounted for 27 percent of South Asian children out of school in 1995, will account for 40 percent in few years".

One another quote:

Writing in his masterpiece, "The Idea of Pakistan", Stephen P. Cohen argues that in the long-term Pakistan's noncompetitive educational system will be one of the prime causes of economic stagnation and perhaps the political turmoil.

Source:
Book: Idea of Pakistan
Author: Stephen Phillip Cohen.

By quotation doesn't mean that you add colourful quotes to make your arguments sugar-coated. I think by quotation means facts, figures, statistics or arguments of any renowned historian/writer/analyst about that issue in question and not that what was said in 5000 BC by the then philosophers which may not stand relevant in the post-modernity world.

Regards