View Single Post
Old Sunday, May 01, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,010 Posts
Shooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud ofShooting Star has much to be proud of

i read the novelette more than 3 times till date and every time i get different things out of it and had different feelings after finishing it.

firstly,when i read it some 2 years back.it really felt like i am reading some fairy tale which my grandmother and Other elders used to tell us at night.
The only difference was that those tales were about princes,fairies,demonic creatures etc whereas this is based upon the life of the common and ordinary person and his struggle to know his destiny.

i really admired Paulo's way of story telling and his ability to create a gem out of an ordinary story.

After sometime,i came to know about the symbolism present in the Novel.It made me curious enough to go through the book once again,this time from a different perspective.
I became really fascinated that how he coated those common things and day to day activities in the beautiful symbolism.Although i couldn't understand all yet it was really a remarkable experience to read it.And i enjoyed it more than i did on first occasion.

Now whenever i read it i try to ponder over the hidden meanings and symbols and motives behind things.
i am stuck at one symbol particular:the scene where Santiago sees some eagles on the sky,snatching food from each other and attacking.

I wish Paulo could write this in English himself.It would have been a great treat to read it in his words rather than in translation.
xaara~hussain (Sunday, May 01, 2011)