View Single Post
Old Friday, May 13, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 408 Posts
Asif Yousufzai is just really niceAsif Yousufzai is just really niceAsif Yousufzai is just really niceAsif Yousufzai is just really niceAsif Yousufzai is just really nice
Default Current Affair Notes

Assessing U.S. Policy and Its Limits in Pakistan

Congressional Testimony by Moeed Yusuf
May 5, 2011

Chairman Kerry, Ranking Member Lugar, and members of the Committee, it is an honor to appear before you today to present my views on U.S. policy towards Pakistan. Thank you for this opportunity.
My views are my own. They are informed by my work at the U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP) which provides analysis, training and tools to help prevent, manage and end violent international conflicts, promote stability, and professionalize the field of peacebuilding. USIP’s work in Pakistan encompasses three interrelated areas: improving mutual understanding between U.S. and Pakistan; strengthening capacity to mitigate conflict; and promoting peacebuilding through education and civil society initiatives. Over several years, USIP has been involved in training conflict resolution facilitators, promoting peace education in Islamic seminaries, and conducting research and analysis on the ground in Pakistan. I travel frequently to Pakistan and have a broad network of contacts across the country.
Mr. Chairman, you could hardly have selected a more pressing moment to reflect upon the state of the Pakistan-U.S. relationship. Just five days ago, the world’s most wanted man, Osama Bin Laden was killed inside Pakistan. There are multiple ways to absorb and analyze this development. The most obvious reaction, as we have witnessed in the wake of Bin Laden’s killing, is to question Pakistan’s commitment as a partner in the fight against terrorism given that he was found living comfortably in a Pakistani Garrison town. Understandably, many have suggested that Pakistan is not sincere, and thus Washington should contemplate breaking off ties.
I, however, believe the U.S. should see this extremely difficult moment as an opportunity to strengthen the bilateral relationship. America has tried the ‘walk away’ route before; it is primarily the reason for our presence in Afghanistan today. But this time, the outcome of a ruptured relationship with Pakistan is certain to be even more detrimental as its multiple fault lines have rendered the country much weaker and fragile than it was at the end of the Afghan Jihad.

For detailed notes follow the below link:
Assessing U.S. Policy and Its Limits in Pakistan | United States Institute of Peace
ahsanaziz (Sunday, June 30, 2013), Billa (Friday, May 20, 2011), Bushra Sabeen (Sunday, December 16, 2012), exclusively (Wednesday, November 18, 2015), Malik Iqbal (Saturday, September 22, 2012), Naheedmir (Thursday, October 29, 2020), saradna (Wednesday, December 26, 2012), shah24 (Monday, August 01, 2011), sultanakbar (Friday, October 07, 2011), Thwarted idea (Thursday, June 13, 2013), zahid hussian (Monday, May 23, 2011), zoheb (Saturday, October 18, 2014)