View Single Post
Old Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thanked 1,074 Times in 471 Posts
Ali Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to behold

Dress someone down
Meaning: To bawl someone out; to give someone a good scolding.
Sentence: The drill sergeant dressed down the entire squadron for failing inspection.

All over the show
Meaning: If something is all over the show, it's in a complete mess.
Sentence: Pakistani intelligence is all over the show after Abbotabad operation.

To swallow the camel and strain at the gnat
Meaning: argue about all sorts of trivialities (but fail to question serious matters)
Sentence: There wasn’t much point straining at procedural gnats, having swallowed the substantial camel of signing a no-strike agreement.

To take for a ride
Meaning: to deceive someone.
Sentence: You really took those people for a ride. They really believed you. I was taken fora ride on this matter.

To get into one's stride
Meaning: to reach one's most efficient and productive rate of doing something.
Sentence: When I get into my stride, I'll be more efficient. Amy will be more efficient when she gets into her stride.

The gift of the gab
Meaning: an ability to speak easily and confidently and to persuade people to do what you want
Sentence: An Irishman, he had the gift of the gab. You might hate what he said but you had to listen.

A raw deal
Meaning: an instance of unfair or bad treatment.
Sentence: I bought a used TV that worked for two days and then quit. I sure got a raw deal.

A tall order
Meaning: a request that is difficult to fulfill.
Sentence: Well, it's a tall order, but I'll do it.

To get in the neck
Meaning (sl): to receive trouble or punishment.
Sentence: You are going to get it in the neck if you are not home on time.

To be in the doldrums
Meaning: not very successful and nothing new is happening in it
(The doldrums was the name for an area of sea where ships were not able to move because there was no wind.)
Sentence: High-street spending remains in the doldrums and retailers do not expect an imminent recovery.

off the mark
Meaning: not quite exactly right.
Sentence: Her answer was a little off the mark.

Pierce through
Meaning: to poke through something; to penetrate something.
Sentence: He pierced through the meat with a fork and then put it in a spicy marinade.

pull together
Meaning: to organize something; to arrange something.
Sentence: How about a party? I'll see if I can pull something together for Friday night.

To egg on
Meaning: to encourage, urge, or dare someone to continue doing something, usually something unwise.
Sentence: The two boys kept throwing stones because the other children were egging them on.

To fall through
Meaning: to fail.
Sentence: I hope our plans don't fall through.

To fight shy of
Meaning: to try to avoid something
Sentence: Ellen fights shy of parties - she hates crowds.

To come to grief
Meaning: to experience something unpleasant or damaging.
Sentence: In the end, he came to grief because he did not follow instructions.

To drop a brick
Meaning: to announce shocking or startling news.
Sentence: They really dropped a brick when they told her the cause of her illness.

To pull one's socks up
Meaning: to make an effort to improve your work or behaviour because it is not good enough
Sentence: He's going to have to pull his socks up if he wants to stay in the team

to mind one's own business
Meaning: Stop prying into my affairs.
Sentence: This is none of your affair. Mind your own business.

to read between the lines
Meaning: to infer something (from something else); to try to understand what is meant by something that is not written explicitly or openly.
Sentence: Don't believe every thing you read literally. Learn to read between the lines.

time and again
Meaning: very often
Sentence: Time and again I have had to remind my son to study before going out with his friends.

to fish in troubled waters
Meaning: to involve oneself in a difficult, confused, or dangerous situation, especially with a view to gaining an advantage.
Sentence: The company could make more money by selling armaments abroad, but they would be fishing in troubled waters.

to let sleeping dogs lie
Meaning: Do not instigate trouble.; Leave something alone if it might cause trouble.
Sentence: I thought I would ask Aslam if he wanted me to pay her back right away, but then I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

a bolt from the blue
Meaning: something that you do not expect to happen and that surprises you very much
Sentence: The news that they had got married was a bolt from the blue.

to grease the palm of
Meaning: to bribe someone.
Sentence: If you want to get something done around here, you have to grease someone's palm.

to take by storm
Meaning: to conquer someone or something in a fury.
Sentence: The army took city after city by storm.

a sword of Damocles
Meaning: Constant threat; imminent peril:
Sentence: The Latin American debt, overhanging American banks like the sword of Damocles.
Call for Change (Sunday, July 03, 2011), candidguy (Tuesday, June 07, 2011), Imtiaz ali (Thursday, June 02, 2011), Razzi (Wednesday, July 13, 2011), Saqib Shah (Wednesday, May 18, 2011), Sara Arshad (Sunday, July 10, 2011), unsolved_Mystery (Thursday, June 02, 2011)