View Single Post
Old Monday, May 23, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

imbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of light
Default One of the greatest leaders in history

Umar was already not a endearing figure in Medina. Although almost all of the Muslims had given pledge of loyalty to him, nevertheless he was rather more feared than loved. The first challenge for Umar was to win out his subjects and members of Majlis al Shura.[44] Umar was a gifted orator, and he would use his ability to get a soft corner in the hearts of people.[45] On Friday prayers Umar addressed the people as follow:

Quote:
Brethren, it has come to my notice that the people are afraid of me..... they say that he (Umar) has become the Caliph now, God knows how hard he will be. Whoever has said this is not wrong in his assessment...... know ye brethren that you will feel a change in me.[46] For those who practice tyranny and deprive others of their rights, I will be harsh and stern, but for those who follow the law, I will be most soft and tender.
Umar's addresses greatly moved the people. Next time he addressed the people as:

Quote:
"I will be harsh and stern against the aggressor[47], but I will be a pillar of strength for the weak.

I will not calm down until i will put one cheek of a tyrant on the ground and the other under my feet, and for the poor and weak, i will put my cheek on the ground."
There could be no better definition of the democracy and justice, then the historic words of Umar,[48] over which he laid foundation of his rule:

Quote:
By God, he that is weakest among you shall be in my eye the strongest[49], until I have vindicated for him his rights; he that is strongest I will treat as the weakest, until he complies with the law.
Umar's stress was on the well being of poor and underprivileged people, as this class made a bulk of any community, the people were soundly moved by Umar's speeches and his popularity grew rapidly and continuously over the period of his reign.
redmax (Tuesday, January 03, 2012), Stunner (Tuesday, May 24, 2011)