View Single Post
Old Friday, June 03, 2011
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Gold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated services

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,006 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynakazmi View Post
Dear All , i have looked for the book Cram Exam at different book stores but found it in none. Today is 3rd may and my first exam for M.A. English Part 1 is scheduled on 10th of May. i got my books about 10 days back. I had no idea it would be 27 books that i'd have to study for five subjects and i am freaked out. i don't know anyone in my social circle who has done M.A. English from PU and therefore i have no guidance whatsoever as to how to attempt the questions or the tips and techniques that can be helpful for exams. i am taking the risk of studying the important questions only though the time i'm left with is not sufficient for even that. Can any of you be kind enough to mail me the book 'cram exam' for part 1? i can pay via money order . My current city is Islamabad.

also, i am not good at memorizing things word by word. i normally go by concept and then express what i understand in my own words; how important is it to write lyrics from poetry and dialogs from dramas etc as they are word by word in the answers? how badly will i be marked if this element is missing in the answers i write?

Rgds,
Alyna
I am here with a sincere suggestion. Literature is not something that can be crammed. You have to go through the entire English Literature history and literary eras and its characteristics to understand the background, themes and motifs of each and every genre. Without learning certain literary terms you cannot attempt Poetry paper. There is nothing like Most Important Questions in English Literature. Questions are seldom repeated. Mostly the question are tricky. Quotations hold importance and they leave a good impression and help in getting higher marks. Precisely, questions in Drama, Novel and Poetry paper cannot be attempted without quoting important lines and verses. For example if you are attempting "Symbolism in The Wild Duck", you have to quote the lines like:
Quote:
Ibsen has superbly employed the symbol of light. The impact of light in the garret is different in the daylight and in the moonlight. Taking garret as human life, the daylight as reality and the moonlight as illusion, we can conclude that the life looks beautiful and relaxed in moonlight which is an illusion of life. Whereas, the reality, the daylight has totally opposite impact on the garret. Reality makes the things clear which tortures the life making it dull and miserable. It means illusions make our life sustain in a better way than the reality.

In Act II, Old Ekdal says:

“…Because the forest, you know … the forest … the forest … !”

Old Ekdal’s splitting, breaking speech is also symbolic. It symbolizes the incomplete and damaged life of Old Ekdal. It also reflects the impact of forests on his life. This is why he, in another speech, says:

“The forests avenge themselves”.

Old Ekdal's lieutenant’s uniform is also symbolic. He is not entitled any more to wear it but he puts it on to recall the days when he was a lieutenant. He lives in a world of illusion, created by himself, in which he finds sufficient satisfaction.

In Act II, Gregers says:

“If I had the choice, I should like most of all to be a clever dog”.

Gregers saying himself a clever dog is also symbolic. He thinks himself to be a great savior and a great ‘help’ for the Ekdal family and is on his mission to take the Ekdals from ignorance to the light. But this absurd insight leads them to the disastrous consequences. In Act III, Hedvig says that the clock in the menagerie is still and doesn’t go anymore. It is symbolic as it is concerned with the wild duck. Time has no value for the wild duck because his life has confined to this menagerie. There is also a picture about the Death of a girl. This death is symbolic to the approaching death of Hedvig. Hedvig says:

“I think that’s awful”.
You cannot quote if you are not good at cramming and if you haven't read the text. And sadly, you haven't.

Do not over burden yourself. You will be disappointed in the end. Save your time and money, and prepare yourself for the next year.
alynakazmi (Sunday, June 05, 2011), faaizaa (Friday, August 30, 2013)