View Single Post
Old Sunday, August 28, 2011

zeeshan1001 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up My experience

Hi I took the CSS-2011 exam at Multan Center. It was my first attempt so far and I am hoping that the result will turn out well for me.

Essay

Disaster Management & Govt. Preparedness (22 pages with roughly 100 words per page) focused more on quality than quantity. Since I prepared essay on Floods only, I had to manage the content by converting everything into the context of Disaster Management and the performance of government agencies in its operations.

English Precis

Precis paper was a good one. I did a great precis and gave it the title "Happy to be unhappy". My comprehension was good and expansion was average. 4 idioms were correct, 3 pair of words, don't know whether my corrections and direct/indirect sentences were correct or not. Out of the 10 marks of synonyms/antonyms I opted for flukes and marked 4/10 correctly but saved a lot of time for studying other subjects.

Everyday Science

It was a lovely paper. Since I belong to the computer science field and opted geography as my optional subject, I did great on questions related to geography and computer which were so many in number. I correctly attempted 35 MCQs and hoping to get 35 marks in the subjective portion so hoping for a good score.

Current Affairs

The paper haunted me when I started preparing for the CSS exam but actually it turned out to be one of my best. Since I had prepared Pak-Affairs in its current affairs so I easily attempted the question related to Pakistan. I am looking forward to a nice score as I have attempted the paper with facts and figures.

Pakistan Affairs

Pak. Affairs has always been a pain for me as I don't like to study about history and historical events. So pre-partition period was not well prepared but I focused well on the current affairs. So 2 questions attempted very well while 2 below average. Looking forward to a 40.

Islamiyat

Although I prepared Islamiyat properly but still I missed its current affairs. My objective paper was bad 10/20 were correct. Since the questions were analytical in nature, I used my creative skills, backed with the basic knowledge of Islam and the instinct of a Muslim. Average length of my questions was 4 pages and I attempted the paper in Urdu language.

Journalism

12 objectives were correct. Since I prepared a full fledged essay on Education in Pakistan, I knew many facts and figures so I used them in the question about media educating people informally. I literally drew a picture of a boy watching TV in which information about traffic lights was being provided. I attempted the Advertising question and the PR question and private tv channels question. It was a good attempt.

Sociology

Another good paper 14 objectives correct. Attempted the Social research, labour thery of Marx, Drug abuse and Urbanization question. Hoping to get a good score.

International Relations

IR paper was the best paper of all. 17/20 objectives correct. Attempted 2 current affairs and 2 theoretical questions. The paper went really well.

Geography I & II

Objectives went OK 12/20 in Paper I and 14/20 in paper II. I messed up the paper I because of no revision in exams and due to IR paper the night before. Since I was very exhausted so could not revise paper I completely. Rocks and note question went well but messed up landforms of wind and currents. Similarly in Paper II 2 questions went well and 2 were average. Although I loved this subject it gave me a blow because of lack of practice.

Computer Science

Last but not the least paper of my own field but the paper setter set the paper to kill the aspirants. Most of the paper was out of course and paper pattern,as opposed to the previous ones, was totally mixed up. Objectives were too much based on practical experience. I personally think some Direct MS(CS) person setup the paper neglecting that the paper should be from the course of BS level programs. Hoping for something between 55 - 65.

Overall it was a remarkable experience of my lifetime. Since my father and Uncle are both CSPs, I have grew up in an environment were everyone talked about the CSS exams. So it was great taking the exam myself. I may not get my first preference this time but I am looking forward to get through the exam and get allocated for sure.

Best of luck to everyone, 1 month left so fingers are crossed.