Thread: I.R guidence
View Single Post
Old Saturday, September 24, 2011

zeeshan1001 will become famous soon enough

@mano22

International Law is a better choice and has a good scoring trend. I have seen many 70+ marks in it. But, to compare it with sociology is not right.

Sociology is much easier to understand, comprehend and its scoring as well.

Opting sociology will help you build good sociological vocabulary which can be useful in essay, current affairs, pak affairs and geography II as well.

To conclude, both are good subjects - as far as scoring is concerned which is the real aim of a massive subject selection exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhammad imran sethi View Post
Actually i am disappointed with sociology attempt of 2011 despite preparation from books like horton and shankar rao.Actually in my view generalized questions though seemingly essay ,are difficult to attempt in sociology.Unless one uses sociological terms and relates the question to sociological theories, i dont think one can get good marks.In ir what is ur suggestion in how much time one can cover if one gives 4 hours a day
IR is no doubt a difficult and lengthy subject but if you can develop interest in it, it becomes very helpful to you in understanding current affairs, writing essays, group discussions and interviews.

The problem people can't score is because of the wrong approach towards the subject. People neglect the very important theoretical portion of the syllabus and just directly to the current issues. When they answer, they write only about current issues and avoid comparing it with historical and theoretical backgrounds. This way the examiner comes to know that the candidate has not studied the subject thoroughly.

e.g the difference between 'i.r' and 'I.R' is an indicator that the person has studied the theoretical portion well. 'I.R' is for IR as a subject and 'i.r' is for its practice internationally. Similarly there are many concepts which you need to grasp before answering a current affairs questions.

secondly, the choice of questions makes it suspicious that your knowledge lacks depth. out of 7 questions you choose 4 current affairs question neglecting the 3 theoretical ones. This makes a bad impression over the examiner that you have not studied the theoretical portion and believe me examiners love to check theoretical questions like Idealism, Realism, scope of IR, Balance of power etc.

Last edited by Predator; Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM.