View Single Post
Old Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Roll number 6338

JazibRoomi has a spectacular aura aboutJazibRoomi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAIN2 View Post
AOA Members
So that was expected. I was knowing that, just after giving only ONE reference, clearling Mr. Jinnah's position on his wrongly interpreted speech, secular-lovers would come up with some new arguments. Imagine if i would have provided you guys with more than 100 of his statements???? (Yes...when i say 100, i really mean it).

Bhai you are changing the words of Jinnah and quoting out of context to create a wrong impression. .

You said that speaking on the occasion of the Holy Prophet's birthday at the Karachi Bar Association on 25th January 1948, Jinnah made the following statement, “I could not understand a section of the people who deliberately wanted to create mischief and propaganda that the constitution of Pakistan would not be made on the basis of Shariat”.
But the exact wording of Jinnah was “I could not understand the section of people who kept on impressing upon everybody that the future constitution of Pakistan should be based on Shariat”. (Go for the reference books or just google it).

From the wording you used, It seems that Jinnah was addressing to “secular-lovers” who were of the view that the constitution of Pakistan would not (or should not) be made on the basis of Shariat.

But the exact wording of Jinnah clearly shows that the mischievous people he was referring to were the Islamists and theodemocrats of that time who were once against Muslim League and Jinnah and demand of Pakistan, and after they came to Pakistan defeated and frustrated, they started the propaganda that constitution of Pakistan was going to be against Shariat (because this constitution was not going to make any discrimination among the citizens of Pakistan on the basis of religion).

In the same address of 25 January, Jinnah further added , ” Why this feeling of nervousness (who were nervous) that the future constitution of Pakistan is going to be in conflict with Shariat Laws ?……Islamic principles today are are as much applicable as they were 1300 years ago……Islam and its idealism have taught Equality, Justice and Fairplay to EVERYBODY.”

Now please compare the above statement with another statement in which Jinnah used the same wording as he used in 25th January address, and presented his views more clearly.

“The constitution of Pakistan has yet to be framed by the Pakistan Constituent Assembly…..Islam and its idealism have taught us democracy. It has taught Equality of men, Justice and Fairplay to ‘EVERYBODY’…..In any case Pakistan is NOT going to be a theocratic State – to be ruled by priests with a divine mission. We have many non-Muslims – Hindus, Christians and Parsis – but they are ALL Pakistanis. They will enjoy the SAME rights and privileges as any other citizens and will play their rightful part in the affairs of Pakistan.” [ Jinnah, February 1948.Talk on Pakistan broadcast to the people of USA]

And finally, I have a question. Let us assume for the time being that it is controversial that whether Jinnah was Islamist or secular, but do not you think that, at least, it is unambiguous that Jinnah was an absolute democrat believing in democracy? In fact, Jinnah held the view that Islam and its idealism have taught us democracy. My question is does Islam really endorse democracy? Being more precise, I want to ask that do Islamists believe in democracy? If they believe then don't they know that according to our constitution, you can enact any law by a simple majority in national assembly and you can even amend the constitution with two third majority? So if they want to impose any Shariat law, for example one related to Hijaab, why don't they go for democratic struggle, mobilize people, get vote, and make laws of their choice? Why the movement for imposition of Shariat law is always an armed struggle, as we recently saw in Swat??

I repeat my question: "does Islam and Islamists endorse democracy?"
chfarooq (Wednesday, September 28, 2011), mjkhan (Wednesday, September 28, 2011)