View Single Post
Old Tuesday, December 26, 2006

tigerandtiger is on a distinguished road
Smile A great personality on all counts:-

The dark, lowering clouds of our karo-kari traditions on the one hand, and the bright, uplifting rainbow of the Quaid-i-Azam’s hearty liberalism on the other! Why do we, the Pakistanis, run away from the rainbow and allow ourselves to be crushed by these layers upon layers of obscurantism?

The Quaid-i-Azam was a hearty person, and not a severe or intimidating taskmaster, and one of his remarkable distinctions was that he personified the greatest champion of female rights of his time. No leader -- Muslim or non-Muslim, and including Sir Syed, Allama Iqbal and Mahatma Gandhi -- so firmly supported the full participation of women in the national life, and unequivocally declared it to be a pre-condition for the forward march of a nation.

Looking at the galaxy of those gifted ladies who constellated around the Quaid during the freedom struggle -- prominent politician Jahan Ara Shahnawaz, poetess Mumtaz Shahnawaz, brilliant orator and founder of APWA Rana Liaquat, a many-faceted intellectual jewel Shaista Ikramullah, educationist and relief worker Fatima Begum of Punjab, Pakistan’s representative at the UN Salma Tasadduq, writer and political activist Shamsunnihar Mahmood, dedicated social worker Sughra Hidayatullah, Delhi’s well-known political and social figure Nurussabah Begum, Fatima Jinnah, and thousands of other lesser lights (inspired and educated ladies scattered all over the subcontinent), who made sacrifices, fought for national emancipation and raised the torch of enlightenment in the name of the great liberator. Any trailblazer could be proud of such a glittering array of learned, courageous and enthusiastic female volunteers, all eagerly ready to play their magnificent role in the freedom struggle and, subsequently, in the awesome task of nation-building. The Quaid-i-Azam’s vision and mission both were perfectly safe in the hands of these laudable ladies, but it ought to be pointed out with a deep sigh that to the determent of the ensuing generations, most of our male helmsmen turned out to be timid, rigid and self-serving fortune-seekers.

It can be said with full assurance that in order to test the democratic and liberal disposition of a public figure in our part of the world, all you have to do is to rub him against a single touchstone -- female equality -- and you would instantly know where he actually stands and what his verbiage truly means. It has indeed been a discouraging fact that over the years, many of our highly educated and seemingly enlightened politicians have failed this test, shocking us by the sudden exposure of their base metal. Our society continues to suffer on account of this leadership flaw. And what compounds our ill-luck in this matter is the irony that our Quaid had always been a supporter of women’s rights, and that too at a time, over a century ago, when even present-day western champions of human rights and equal opportunity, were blithely treating their females as inferior beings. When in England the protesting suffragettes -- Mrs Pankhurst, Emily Davidson and others -- were being imprisoned, beaten and even murdered by the establishment. When in the Third Republic of France, home of the great Revolution and cradle of Liberty, the chic dames were not allowed to sign a cheque. And when in the United States, the great land of opportunity, right under the nose of the newly-installed Lady of Liberty, the American ladies lacked most liberties.

Finding himself entrusted with the care of his little sister, Fatima, the young barrister gave her his love and saw to it that she received a high education and professional training as a dentist (an unbelievably practical occupation for a woman of those days), so that she could face the world on equal terms and pay her own way. This shining, yet unsung, contribution of the great man must never be forgotten by us.

Mohammad Ali Jinnah spent his young manhood in England at a time when it was bliss to be alive, and to be young was just heaven. Taking pride in its highly efficient language, the energetic English society was promoting learning in all spheres of life, and cultivating the subtle art of conversation, elocution and repartee -- a display of ingenious wit in speech and writing. Literary heavy-weights such as Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde and Frank Harris were preparing the ground for budding exponents of the piquant art, including Lieutenant Winston Churchill, who would blandly retort, “I should drink it” to Lady Astor, the first female member (and femme fatale) of the British parliament, in replay to her cruel remark – “If I were your wife I should certainly poison your morning coffee.”

How could Mohammad Ali Jinnah, a bright and hearty youth, eager to get all the best of the western world, remain unaffected and fail to develop a flair for the jolly remarks, the delightful banter, the apt rejoinder, the crisp one-liner and the cheerful silencer, eliciting touche from a worthy opponent.

The Quaid was a very learned and hard working man, and a strict disciplinarian. The last-named attribute, in the reckoning of most of us, is suggestive of a stern humourless and aloof character. Nothing could be farther from the truth, for the Quaid had a pleasant personality and was always ready to share a joke.

In 1937, Mohammad Ali Jinnah came to Lahore to set up his party’s parliamentary board for the impending elections. It was a tough task requiring him to meet all sorts of difficult visitors. One day while discussing party matters with Pir Tajuddin, secretary of the provincial Muslim League, he suddenly digressed into a new topic. “You know, Pir Saheb,” the Quaid said, mentioning the name of a prominent lady, “she keeps seeing me all the time.”

“What does she say?”

“She insists that Muslim League’s parliamentary board shouldn’t be set up.”

“Why?”

“She thinks no Muslim League’s has the slightest chance of winning in Punjab.”

“Mr Jinnah,” said Pir Tajuddin with a chuckle, “that lady is certainly receiving a great deal of attention from you. I’m afraid you are going to succumb to her charms.”

“What an idea?” the Quaid replied with a hearty guffaw, “Let a thousand charmers come and cast their spells. They will all fail, I assure you.”

In 1946, Balochistan’s Qazi Issa was in charge of the Muslim League publicity. One evening when Qazi Issa went to see the Quaid at 10 Aurangzeb Street, he inquired about the progress of the publicity work. “Not very good,” lamented Qazi Issa, “Here in our camp all we have is an old-timer, the venerable Syed Shamusl Hassan, and there, the Congress Party has purposefully enrolled a bunch of young nymphs to do the publicity work.”

“Really,” said the Quaid with a smile, “It only means that Muslim League’s publicity is becoming very effective.

“With your permission, sir,” continued Qazi Issa, “I should like to pay them a visit and see how they work.”

“Go by all means, young man,” replied the Quaid heartily, “I am sure your elegant personality would win a few hearts and give them an inferiority complex.”

---------------------------------
source: Dawn 24 dec 2006