View Single Post
Old Sunday, October 16, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

imbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of light

From `Amir ibn Rabi`a:

"I saw `Umar pick up a straw from the ground and say: ‘Would that I were this straw! Would that I were nothing! Would that my mother never bore me!’"

From `Ubayd Allah ibn `Umar ibn Hafs:

`Umar was see carrying a slaughtered animal on his back. He was asked why, and he replied: "I was infatuated with myself and wanted to humble myself."

Al-Hasan narrated:

"`Umar gave a sermon when he was Caliph wearing a waist-wrap patched in twelve places."

As `Umar’s head lay in Ibn `Umar’s lap after his stabbing he said to him:

"Lay my cheek on the ground." Then he said: "Woe to me, my mother’s woe to me if my Lord does not grant me mercy!" The next morning al-Miswar woke him for the dawn prayer. `Umar rose saying: "Yes, and there is no part in Islam for whoever leaves prayer." He prayed bleeding from his wounds.

From Malik al-Dar:

The people suffered a drought in `Umar’s khilafa, whereupon a man came to the grave of the Prophet and said: "O Messenger of Allah! Ask for rain for your Community, for verily they have but perished." After this the Prophet appeared to him in a dream and told him: "Go to `Umar and give him my greeting, then tell him that they will be watered. Tell him: Be clever!" The man went and told `Umar. The latter said: "My Lord! I spare no effort except in what escapes my power."

From Mujahid:

"We found that the goodness of our lives was patience."

From `Urwa ibn al-Zubayr:

"Know that greed is poverty and despair sufficiency. When a man despairs of something, he does without it."

From al-Sha`bi:

"By Allah! My heart has softened for Allah’s sake until it became softer than butter, and it has hardened for Allah’s sake until it became harder than stone."

From `Awn ibn `Abd Allah ibn `Utba:

"Sit with the Oft-Repentent (al-tawwâbîn), for they are the softest-hearted of people."

From Aslam, `Umar’s freedman:

"Be the vessels of the Book and the well-springs of the Science, and ask Allah for your sustenance day by day."

From Abu `Uthman al-Nahdi:

"Winter is the treasure of devotees."

From Dawud ibn `Ali:

"If a sheep dies on the shore of the Euphrates I fear lest Allah ask me to account for it on the Day of Resurrection."

From Yahya ibn Abi Kathir:

"If it were announced from the heaven: ‘O people! You are all entering Paradise except one,’ I would fear to be he; and if it were announced: ‘O people! You are all entering the Fire except one,’ I would hope to be he."

From al-Aswad ibn Hilal al-Muharibi:

When `Umar was made Caliph he stood on the pulpit and said: "O people! I am going to invoke Allah, therefore say âmîn. O Allah! I am coarse, so make me soft, and I am stingy, so make me generous, and I am weak, so make me strong."

From `Abd Allah ibn `Umar:

"[After `Umar’s death] I saw a palace in my sleep, and was told it belonged to `Umar ibn al-Khattab. Then I saw him come out of it, wearing a cover as if he had just bathed. I said: ‘How did you fare?’ He said: ‘Well, although I would have fallen from my place if I had not found a forgiving Lord.’ Then he asked: ‘How long since I have left you?’ I said: ‘Twelve years.’ He said: ‘I only just finished rendering account.’"

`Umar was the closed door between the Prophet’s Community and the onset of dissension. His death is one of the earliest signs of the Hour.

One day he asked Hudhayfa about the "dissension that shall surge like the waves of the sea" according to the Prophet’s own terms.
Hudhayfa answered:
"You need not worry about it, for between you and it there is a gate closed shut." `
Umar said:
"Will the gate be opened or broken?"
Hudhayfa said: "Broken!"
`Umar replied: "That is more appropriate than that it be let open."

The narrator [Abu Wa’il] said:

"We feared to ask Hudhayfa who was that gate, so we sent Masruq to ask him and he said: That gate was `Umar."