View Single Post
Old Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ainuddin Kibzai is just really niceAinuddin Kibzai is just really niceAinuddin Kibzai is just really niceAinuddin Kibzai is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahmalik View Post
No Doubt, english is confusing language and its very hard to have a strong grip over the origin and etymology considering the environment we live in, however practice and effort will do wonders obviously.
@ Misbah , Regarding ur effort, i believe u were quite right, correct me if i am wrong, "logistic" and "logistics" are completely different entities.

Logistic, literally is symbolic logic, relating to philosophical attempt to reduce mathematics to logic. In wider spectrum, it is used for a singular aspect of logistics as well.

However, logistics is details of handling operations,normally for military purposes and generally for any project concerning the procurement and transportation of hardware, material and equipment, sometimes vaguely used for human resource as well. Saman-e-rasdd ( in urdu ).

Some might disagree, but this is my 2 cents.

@kibzai, man, like ur other posts in english portion, this one was spot on and i got to admit, u have interestingly acute & rational opinion, hats off. Your posts are extremely helpful. I just need to have a second opinion on my strategy for 2012, i have compiled and solved the last 10 years papers for synonyms,antonyms,idioms and pairs of words. 30% were found repeated, which is not a very healthy figure. Keeping in view the paucity of time, how can i enhance my chances ? I will be grateful for a 2-min quick crasher sort of thing. ( GRE prefixes and suffixes family trees are gone through ).
Dear Bro.
I am really honored by the respect you have have paid me for the little experience i had for sharing.
I believe in doing the basics right and keeping the rules simple. To me, consistency matters the most irrespective of the quantity.
As far ad synonyms and antonyms are concerned, I would advise you to go for 10 etymologies a day ( on regular basis ). By the start of the exams, you will have learnt at least 400 etymologies of various words. It would be sheer bad luck if you still could not solve the synonyms and antonyms.
While as long as idioms go, just learn 5 idioms a day. It will give you some sort of idea as to what they are really meant for. Because my personally experience says that Idioms are, more or less, a guess work. You can guess the meaning of more than 50 % of the idioms if you have some sort of common sense. For instance, the idiom " at arm's length ", clearly depicts the thing being easily reachable.
For pair of words, you have to play a kind of trick with the examiner, something I successfully played many times. In pair of words, I always knew the meanings of at least one from the pair while the other one was either a bit ambiguous or totally bizarre. I beautifully and skilfully wrote the sentence with the words i knew in such a way as to gice the examiner a glimpse that the meaning is quite clear to me. While withe other weaker of the two, I adopted the different strategy by toying with the examiner's mind since I myself have been checking papers of Intermediate level.
Regards,
Ainuddin Kibzai.
Abdussamad Chaudhary (Tuesday, January 10, 2012), shahmalik (Wednesday, January 11, 2012), syeda naqvi (Saturday, January 14, 2012)