View Single Post
Old Friday, October 21, 2005
SIBGA-TUL-JANAT
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Appreciation

sibgakhan is a jewel in the roughsibgakhan is a jewel in the roughsibgakhan is a jewel in the roughsibgakhan is a jewel in the rough

IN THE DESERT

Brig (Retd) MUHAMMAD TAJ, SJ & BAR, one of the authentic heroes of our time, recounts a small unit action in the Thar Desert during the 1965 war

In a recent issue of the 'Defence Journal', I briefly covered the battles of Shakarbu, Kharin and Dali fought gallantly by 18 Punjab (Desert Hawks). In this article the battle of Kalraon-ka-Talao shall be described. In this battle the enemy was so badly defeated that he had to re-group the battalions and never dared to face Pakistani troops again during 1965 war.

During Dali Operation, 18 Punjab had captured three Indian tanks in serviceable condition and probably is the only proud battalion that had used these very tanks against the Indians.

Indian commanders in desert after suffering a humiliating defeat at Dali Area tried to capture isolated Rangers Posts to save their face. One of their targets was Kalraon - Talao occupied by our Rangers. Brigade commander, having obtained the information that Indians are concentrating some infantry and artillery against this Ranger's Post, ordered the Desert Hawks to reinforce Kalraon - ka -Talao. 18 Punjab had hardly reached this area when at dawn the Indians attacked the post with 4 Marhattas supported by artillery. As the flanking company Commander, having concentrated at night. I heard the artillery and small arms fire and moved to the forward sections to observe the direction of fire and the enemy's intention. The forward elements were under enemy's machinegun fire. I tried to see through the binoculars the direction of fire, when the intensity of fire increased and the Section Commander insisted that I must get into the trench. I hesitated and continued observing the movement of the enemy. The Section Commander came out of his trench saying that if you do not take shelter we have no right to be in the trenches. So I jumped into the trench and ordered the platoon to occupy the feature on the left which was overlooking the direction of enemy assaulting elements. I along with the platoon and machine guns, reached this position and found at least two companies advancing towards the Ranger's post. I immediately ordered the machine gunners to open fire. 4 Marhattas got totally surprised on being fired upon from the flank.

This flanking fire and fire by the captured tanks slowed down the momentum of the attack.

The enemy's battalion suffered heavy casualties and the attack failed. 18 Punjab and captured tanks played their role so effectively that 4 Marhattas ran back in all directions leaving behind their dead and wounded. It was later reported by intelligence agencies that 4 Marhattas was so badly mauled that it had to be regrouped and was no more an effective unit during the '65 war.

Next day the Indians again tried to reinforce this failure and this time used 3 Garhwals to assault the post. This unit also received the same treatment from the gallant Pakistani troops and the attack failed. 3 Garhwals suffered heavy casualties and were withdrawn. After this, the Indian forces never tried to face Pakistani troops anywhere in this desert and 18 Punjab in recognition of its achievements was permitted to use 'Desert Hawks' with it's name. This action further confirms the fundamentals of War i.e. a well thought- out maneuver by a small force can always defeat a major force.

The loyal, well trained and highly motivated troops, without caring for their lives, can endure and show outstanding courage in times of danger despite fatigue. The Section Commander's reaction to come out of his trench seeing his senior outside the trench is a typical example of well trained, dedicated and loyal soldiers that make a proud unit.

It is said that ten good soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without head. Here the Indians launched both the attacks (one after the other) without proper analysis and intelligence and got badly defeated.

Lastly, one must not forget that the war makes extremely heavy demands on the soldiers strength, therefore train your men during the peace time under adverse conditions so that their mind is in peace in the battle.

At the end we must not forget the brave, gallant and dedicated soldiers who had laid down their lives during the '65 war. Let us hope that their sacrifices shall not go waste and the cause for which they made supreme sacrifice of their lives shall be honoured. They had proved their worth in 1965 and we must strive harder to be worthy of them.

--------------------

Quran 23:110

Persistence commands success : Quaid e Azam

Last edited by Princess Royal; Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 03:05 PM.