View Single Post
Old Friday, January 27, 2012
41st CTP (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2012 Merit 39

JS1325 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by micho View Post
My intention was not to hurt anyone, but actually i was confused because there are lot of similarities between the presidency of both presidents.

sorry from my part.
No you have NOT hurt me by any means. I am here to provide help and be helped. All I meant is that a little more brainstorming on this question, on your part, will be very effectual for you and will broaden your perspective, which is a must-have skill for the contemporary trend of exams. You don't have to be sorry either. We are cool

Anyways, I hope this time I can better help you.

Differences in Jeffersonian and Jacksonian Democracy

A MAN OF WORDS VS. A MAN OF ACTIONS

The real difference between the two was application of their views.

Jefferson was portrayed as a man of the people, but he remained a wealthy planter who tended to associate only with other elites.

Jackson was literally common man’s president. A historian remembers him in these words: "Jackson was the common man incarnate. His mind unclouded by learning, his morals simple and true, his will fierce and resolute".
He asserted executive’s powers and denounced aristocratic congress. He once said : "...Corruption has been imputed in many members of the House of Representatives, and the rights of the people have been bartered for promises of office"

JACKSON VS JEFFERSON ON STATES’ RIGHTS

While Jefferson talked about limited government, his actual practices as President differed. He maintained the Bank of the US, authorized the Louisiana Purchase and pushed for stronger party cohesion, all things many Democrats opposed in the ideal.

Jackson took concrete steps, killed National Bank, supported Georgia in Worcester vs Georgia, put money from NB in state banks

DIFFERENCES IN CONDITION FOR RIGHT TO VOTE

Jefferson Believed property requirement was a test of character that man of initiative should be able to meet.
In Jackson’s era, Property requirements for voting was eradicated, thus extending the right to vote to common masses

CONTRASTING VIEWS ON ELIGIBILITY FOR OFFICE HOLDING

Jefferson Believed the educated elite should rule, although he proposed education for all to prepare poorer individuals for public office

Jackson Believed all men were qualified to hold office, whether educated or uneducated and that political positions should be rotated

VARYING METHODS FOR CHOOSING CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDENT

Jefferson: Candidates were chosen by caucuses of political leaders
Jackson: Nominating conventions were introduced during Jackson’s time

DIFFERENT VIEWS ABOUT CHOSEN CLASS

Jefferson: Yeoman Farmer as the “chosen class”. He has been quoted saying "Those who labor in earth are the chosen people of GOD. Corruption of morals in the mass of cultivators is a phaenomenon of which no age nor nation has furnished an example

Jackson: Included planters, farmers, laborers, and mechanics in “chosen class”.

VIEW ON INDUSTRIALIZATION

Jefferson: Originally feared the consequences of industrialization

Jackson: Accepted industry as essential to American economy

VIEWS ON PROMOTING UPWARD SOCIAL MOBILITY

Jefferson: Education & ambition were keys to success for him; however, he was never able to build support for his proposed system of public education

Jackson: Ended the Bank & opened opportunities for individuals to get corporate charters & thus rise on both economic and social ladders. Jackson, a self-made man, believed his economic progress had accounted for his own upward social mobility & others could follow his example

Again I have just developed an outline and You can almost double the above content by further elucidating these points.
Hamza Kahlon (Saturday, January 28, 2012), khan Shaheer (Thursday, February 07, 2013), micho (Tuesday, January 31, 2012)