View Single Post
Old Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

xaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemguy View Post
23. The building blocks of elements are called:
a) Atoms

Because except for a handful of gases that can only exist as molecules (Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Chlorine) , all other elements are composed of atoms. Molecules are building blocks of compounds not elements.

27) If an alkali is slowly added to an acidic solution, the pH of the acidic solution will:
d) Decrease to 7 and then increase

A is not right because adding alkali will lower pH of acidic solution.

31) Information can be sent over long distances in the form of:
Can you explain this, I am sceptical.

10. When a ray of sunlight enters a dark room , its straight path become visible because of dust particles hanging in the air. It is because light is :
Light itself is invisible. You can see things clearly in presence of light, can't you? Had light been visible our view would have been murky at least :P
b)Transparent
ok u maybe right in first two, as I am not chem girl u knw

but about that information MCQ, i am not sceptical about fibre optics. I am sure about it. They are most widely used for communication purposes now a days, and light is used in fibre optics.

and moreover, wires are not practical for long distances (think globally), and radio waves would be too weak to go so far carrying information.

about light being visible, it is a little tricky.

Transparent is a medium to allow light pass through it. Light itself cannot be transparent. It is visible to our eye, that is why it is visible in a dark room too! but it is tricky. I can't be sure.