View Single Post
Old Sunday, February 26, 2012
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 176Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

rose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the rough
Smile An Ideal system of Governance in Pakistan; my view

If Pakistan wants to progress, it should redefine the process of democracy. It should have a presidential form of democracy; president being directly elected by the masses. The president choose his cabinet on the basis of competence, who must not be member of legislature, but approved by election commission. The ministers of this 'technocratic' cabinet must be backed by two policy making institutions; parliamentary committees and independent think tanks.

There must be complete separation of executive and legislative powers; which means the legislators should not be ministers, they should only be focusing on law making, in federal as well as provincial assemblies. The Civil Service must be given constitutional protection against any political interference and reprisal.

There must be decentralization of power, which means the local government must be established and empowered. Basic service delivery - land revenue, policing, health - with the exception of education must be the task of local government along with provincial.

I am a strong proponent of decentralization, however, I prefer education being a central subject, owing to the disastrous situation of education in Pakistan. The education ministry must be backed by provincial parliamentary committees in addition to federal parliamentary committee and independent think tanks. The education must be TOP priority of the gov't, hence must be allocated at least 20% of the budget. My premise is if Pakistan wants to get rid of all problems - deteriorating economy, fragmented society, extremism; poverty and social evils - it must provide free and quality education till Masters to all Pakistanis.

This is my view on how a good system of governance can work in Pakistan. What you have to say about it, please comment.