View Single Post
Old Tuesday, March 13, 2012
42nd CTP (PSP)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2013 - Merit 62

umarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Zafar View Post
Well, I had already read it somewhere so I was stressing on "He came yesterday".But to get a proof now I just checked in Wren & Martin.It says,

The simple past tense is used to indicate an action completed in the past.It often occurs with adverbs or adverb phrases of past time.

Examples,

The steamer sailed yesterday.
I received this letter a week ago.

The past perfect describes an action completed before a certain moment in the past; as,

I met him in New Delhi in 1996.I had seen him last five years before.

well i wrote "he had come yesterday". but it's wrong since i checked it on the internet. however there is a condition..

for example: ali paid a surprise visit to his mother yesterday. he had come!

yesterday was dropped because it was already mentioned there. but in my personal opinion, yesterday needs to incorporated since one could never tell whether it was yesterday, or the day before, or last year by simply stating he had come!