View Single Post
Old Saturday, March 31, 2012
41st CTP (PAAS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2012 Merit 139

sajidnuml is a jewel in the roughsajidnuml is a jewel in the roughsajidnuml is a jewel in the roughsajidnuml is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Dear Sara and Tobabar. OK here I would try to complete it, yet I may forget to mention some important things as I am doing it without book. For better understanding I would suggest you to pose questions.

Now you got that Plato's Republic which contains his ideal state is actually a commentary on the political system of Athens. Plato criticizes Athenian democracy and builds his Ideal state on its ruins. Aristotle criticizes Republic and proposes his own political thought by deducing it from the Republic. That is the reason he is known as ungrateful student of Plato.

Being an empiricist Aristotle developed a scietific methods to prove that what Plato proposed was against human nature and the ideal state would be incapable of achieving the goal of a harmonized society. Yet Aristotle agreed with Plato that only Knowledge has the rightful claim to power. They differ on means but not on ends; end is a harmonized society, where as means differ. Aristotle sees Law as indispensable for good governance, while Plato omitted law from his ideal state. Aristotle sees private property as the source of harmless pleasures where as Plato considers it as the apple of discord,which creates imbalance in society: "however small every city is divided into two one the city of the rich and the other of the poor", so long there is private property there would be no peace: Oligarchic revolution was the example. Further Plato abolished marriage but Aristotle condemned it as the family was the basic unit of society. Plato believes that if by the mating of best animals we get best offspring, the same principle can be applied to humans: only the best men or the Guardian class(Philosophers) will be tasked to reproduce.

To prove that Plato was wrong Aristotle collected 156 constitutions of different city states and employed historical, analytical, deductive methods. while doing this Aristotle kept the Republic before his eyes and attacked Plato where ever he found contradictions and inconsistencies. He gave examples from history as well as used the same knowledge which he got from the Republic to condemn Plato. It should therefore be kept in mind that had there been no Republic, Aristotle might never have been the father of Political science.
Aristotle may be great but he was ungrateful!!!

Secondly Plato wrote an other book: The Statesman, in which law was supreme however in Republic it was subordinate to the discretion of Philosopher King. It was the Second Ideal state of Plato but It remained the Ideal State of Aristotle.

Why he wrote the Statesman and how it became the ideal of Aristotle, I will discuss it in an other post. There are many things which I am leaving untouched but If you are interested I will explain each and everything.
Acidius (Tuesday, July 02, 2019), Call for Change (Thursday, June 26, 2014), Syed Muhammad Ali Jeelani (Friday, July 09, 2021)