View Single Post
Old Sunday, September 02, 2012

skymarshal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymarshal View Post
Guys,

In late 2007, NAB had advertised various positions of JIO, AD and DD. Written and Psychological tests were conducted and as long as my memory goes the candidates were also shortlisted for the interview. In the midst of recruitment process, some changes took place on the political landscape of Pakistan and the new government decided to wind up NAB. This led to curtailing NAB budget and reducing its workforce besides clipping the powers vested to it through NAO-1999. Due to financial crunch, NAB halted the recruitment process and those vacancies were, perhaps, subsequently cancelled.

With this stay of the Honorable Court, the current recruitment – which has sparked this interesting debate – seems to have run into a kind of predicament as it is going to be a month since the psychological test took place and its result is nowhere in the sighting. Given the political upheavals in the country and this court stay not yet moving to any logical conclusion, I am afraid the recruitment process may stretch out beyond elections, and the new government, if formed by some other political party, will have its own priorities with respect to accountability system in the country.

When NAB officials filed petition against the ongoing recruitment, I was sure that it was not to augur well for the prospects of new hiring and my concerns went right. While the stay of Honorable Court that precluded NAB from issuing final offer letters has slowed down the hiring process, one will NOT have reasons to feel smug if one is called for the interview after success in the psychological test. The only way forward that I reckon has a sliver living in this episode of uncertainty is settlement of the Honorable Court’s stay. I am sure the top management of NAB is working on resolving these issues; the soonest it can. But delay will make matters worse. So far NAB has done a fantastic job to maintain impartiality and transparency – two of its hallmarks in the domain of its investigative operations – in recruitment through the NTS to escape doubts on its credibility; kudos to the Chairman and the DG HR.

I don’t want to leave here any pessimistic impression about what is going on, but reality is that the longer the irritants persist the deeper limbo the recruitment remains in. Let us keep our fingers crossed that issues of serving NAB officials are amicably settled to help new recruitment process move forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Sky Marshal

Yes I have heard of this and I second your claim of that 2007 incident.

But I tried to do some research on this and maybe you can help me here. Yes we know that 2007 hiring process was halted due to political unrest of late 2007 and early 2008. But then there was another hiring that took place in late 2008. My question is that were the qualified candidates of 2007 process called back for 2008 process or was the 2008 process a new one altogether? If it was a new one then why there was no protest from the candidates who were shortlisted for interview in 2007? Because I know that if this process is halted for now and then later they resume the process, we will protest to get our rights. We have qualified the written part and those who qualify psychological should be given a chance for whenever NAB decides to hire for vacant posts. Let them sort their mess out but the LUCKY ones who have made it so far deserve these posts. I mean the success rate is around 2% here and will be around 1% (for finally qualified candidates who receive the offer letter) This rate (of finally successful candidates:total candidates) is even lower than the CSS

@alirsahto – Good questions.

First of all, there was no unrest at the time in real sense of the word. However, there was some disturbance triggered by transition from the democracy of dictators to the democracy of politicians at that time. Now coming to your questions:

1. Were the qualified candidates of 2007 process called back for 2008?
No. There was no qualified candidate since the recruitment process was aborted after the psychological test. Hence, no one was called back.

2. The 2008 process a new one altogether?
There was no hiring in 2008. At that time NAB was battling for its survival as a result of tight budget and lukewarm response from government to mend its affairs. Naveed Ahsan, the former NAB Chairman, did his best to revitalize role of NAB in countering corruption in the country. But I think due to the trends at the time, Mr. Ahsan was not able to reinvigorate NAB to the level it functioned during previous government with complete workforce.

3. Why there was no protest from the candidates who were shortlisted for interview in 2007?
In principle, you reserve no legitimate right to challenge the employer for cancelling the positions. If you noticed at the bottom of the advertisement it reads that the bureau has right to cancel the positions. As the guys had merely passed the personality test, not the interview, they were in a weaker position to register a protest.

Your comments that if this process is halted for now and then later they resume the process, we will protest to get our rights, we cannot protest even if we pass the psychological test, let alone the written test as the bureau has right to cancel the positions. Let us erase this idea of protestations from our mind.

With regard to your comparison of passing rate of NAB with that of CSS, I am confident to say that NAB test was no match of CSS exam. The two exams are pole apart in terms of the magnitude of study, hard work, intellect and knowledge. For CSS, well-prepared and knowledgeable people – numbering in the four digits – take this exam after extensive studies. For NAB test, I am sure most of the folks that numbered beyond the six digits were below average and mediocre like me. That is how the passing rate seems low.