View Single Post
Old Sunday, April 08, 2007
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2006 - Roll no. 4802

Second Coming is on a distinguished road
Default Can an Islamic state be Democratic?

Some religious people think that the very phrase "islamic democracy" is a contradiction in terms because democracy is an un-islamic system of government. The basic principle of democracy, they say, is that people can decide everything for themselves, because the ultimate authority lies with the masses. In Islam, however, Allah is the ultimate authority. While in democracy people might or might not decide their affairs according to Islamic teachings, in Islam, you always have to decide everything keeping in view the Islamic injunctions. (For example, people or their representatives might vote in favour of the use of liquor-which will be permissible in a democracy-but you can't do it in an Islamic state. Hence the contradiction, they think).

To me the argument put in this way has some weight i.e., Democracy is not suitable for an Islamic state. But I invite your opinion on it. Do you think there's something wrong with this interpretation?