View Single Post
Old Wednesday, November 28, 2012

agilicious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidra siyal View Post
PRECIS 2010
Of all the characteristics of ordinary human nature envy is the most unfortunate; not only does the envious person wish to inflict misfortune and do so whenever he can with impunity, but he is also himself rendered unhappy by envy. Instead of deriving pleasure from what he has, he derives pain from what others have. If he can, he deprives others of their advantages, which to him is as desirable as it would be to secure the same advantages himself. If this passion is allowed to run riot it becomes fatal to all excellence, and even to the most useful exercise of exceptional skill. Why should a medical man go to see his patients in a car when the labourer has to walk to his work? Why should the scientific investigator be allowed to spend his time in a warm room when others have to face the inclemency of the elements? Why should a man who possesses some rare talent of great importance to the world be saved from the drudgery of his own housework? To such questions envy finds no answer. Fortunately, however, there is in human nature a compensating passion, namely that of admiration. Whoever wishes to increase human happiness must wish to increase admiration and to diminish envy.
What cure is there for envy? For the saint there is the cure of selflessness, though even in the case of saints envy of other saints is by no means impossible. But, leaving saints out of account, the only cure for envy in the case of ordinary men and women is happiness, and the difficulty is that envy is itself a terrible obstacle to happiness.
But the envious man may say: ‘What is the good of telling me that the cure for envy is happiness? I cannot find happiness while I continue to feel envy, and you tell me that I cannot cease to be envious until I find happiness.’ But real life is never so logical as this. Merely to realize the causes of one’s own envious feeling is to take a long step towards curing them.

TITLE:ENVY-THE FATAL DISEASE OR ENVY-THE MORAL DISEASE CAUSES AND REMEDIES

Envy is the fatal disease.Envious person desires to mark others with bad karma and seeks pleasure in destroying others.Instead to being thankful for what he has,envious person is busy depriving others of glories.If this obsession is let loose it could turn into a habit or a skill.As every coin has two sides,the fatality of enviousness can be cured by the rehab of admiration or if not then by self realization of one's own flaws.

Corrections are highly welcomed
Please also take a look at this solution and give feedback!

"Human nature is plagued by envious feelings of individuals towards others. An envious person does not feel contended with what he has and ruins the happiness in his own life while wishing, acting in any way which could be harmful for people he feels envious about. Even saints are not free from envious feelings. On the other hand, admiration is a trait of human nature which helps to diminsh the effects of envy. While the ultimate cure to envy is hapiness, finding out the root cause of these feelings is the first step."
sidra siyal (Wednesday, November 28, 2012)