View Single Post
Old Sunday, May 06, 2007
38th CTP (ITG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 527

athena is on a distinguished road

Very helpful tips indeed, plus i also happened to come across these :
STEPS IN READING A PASSAGE FOR THE PRECIS.

1. Read the whole passage attentively.
2. Begin to recognize the author's tone and viewpoint.

3. Re-read the passage several times if necessary for clear comprehension (understanding) of ideas.

4. Note and disregard parts of the author's work that are introductory.

5. Underline key phrases, make notes in the margin.

6. Observe the emphasis or approach used by the author.

7. Assume the importance of ideas that the author develops with the use of supporting
facts and examples.

8. Do not use the specific examples, figures of speech or quotations cited by the author
in developing your precis.

9. When you are selecting ideas from a passage, ask yourself the
following question: If this idea were omitted, would the fundamental
meaning of the passage be changed?

Writing the Precis

1. Try to limit your precis to no more than 1/3 the length of the original passage.
2. Use clear, factual expressions, do not attempt to copy the style of the original source.

3. Do not introduce ideas of your own. Do not criticize or change the author's ideas.
I think I should also mention the source: http://www.mailbag.com/users/eaglesch/aa.precis.htm
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to athena For This Useful Post:
Abuzar Salam (Monday, September 08, 2014), AHSAHITO (Friday, June 05, 2015), Bushra kamali (Tuesday, June 14, 2016), Eager (Thursday, November 18, 2010), Ella (Monday, November 03, 2014), EmKay (Tuesday, January 07, 2014), F Memon (Sunday, May 29, 2016), Farhan Kaif (Wednesday, August 09, 2017), Artemis (Thursday, September 18, 2008), pisceankhan (Monday, June 23, 2014), Rabbia Irum (Thursday, May 14, 2015), sakhawat ali ch (Saturday, March 26, 2016), Sureshlasi (Sunday, April 12, 2015)