View Single Post
Old Saturday, December 15, 2012

shabbirsethar is on a distinguished road
I endorse the view of shakeel : Here is my synopsis , which is basically for multimedia ( powerpoint 10 slides) .

Briefly discuss impact of movements for reform – Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi, Shah Waliullah, Aligarh, Deoband and Nadwah – on Muslims of sub-continent. (1991)
Discuss the role of Hazrat Mujadid Alf sani in the revival of muslim values and traditions with special reference to his opposition to Akbar’s religious policy? (2009 IP History-I)
Discuss at length the services rendered for Islam by Hazrat Mujaddid Alf-e-Sani (2007 IP History-I)
Write note any one of the following: Hazrat Mujaddid Alf-e-Sani (2004 IP History-I)
Discuss the role of Hazrat Mujadid Alf sani in the revival of muslim values and traditions with special reference to his opposition to Akbar’s religious policy? (2009 IP History-I)

Discuss at length the services rendered for Islam by Hazrat Mujaddid Alf-e-Sani (2007 IP History-I)

Write note any one of the following: Hazrat Mujaddid Alf-e-Sani (2004 IP History-I)
those were past years questions

MUJADDID ALF SANI (Saviour of Islam During Second Millennium) Shaikh Ahmed of Sirhind (1564-1624

Background:

Akbar’s Din e Ilahi (reconciliation of religions: Islam and Hinduism + Christianity) adulterated Muslim polity, society and religion
*Un-Islamic practices and beliefs introduced by Akbar & continued during Jahangir’s reign
Evils of Muslim Society:

Social: adulteration with socio-religious practices of Hinduism
Political: Sovereignty concept (zill-e-Ilahi) prostration
Spiritual / Ideological: Wahdat-ul-Wajud (Creator – creatures one)

THE REVIVAL MOVEMENT
No direct political conflict with rulers - letters to the prominent in Akbar’s (subsequently Jahangir’s) Court viz. Abdur Rehman Khan-e-Khanan, Khan-e-Azam Mirza Ab Aziz, Mufti Sadr-e-Jahan – reminded their religious duty
Sent disciples to different corners for preaching – basic concepts of Islam, shariah sunnah – to expose din-e-ilahi

In the court of Jahangir – raised voice against the practice of prostration – imprisoned in Gawaliar (1619-20) but later released and made religious advisor of Jahangir

In prison he converted many inmates to Islam and brought reformation among the Muslim prisoners

He preached true spirit of Islam among the troops of Mughal army; raised their moral and prepared them to perform their duties towards Islam and the State;
Ideological war –
Wahdat-ul-Wajud* (Unity of Wajud (Being): Creator – creatures one) – propounded by Ibn-al Arabi (1165-1240 AD) - an Arab Muslim sufi mystic and philosopher; and*

Wahdat-ul-Shahud* (Unity of Shahud (experience / feelings): Creator – creatures are one by experience / feeling but separate Beings) – propounded by Shaikh Alaud Daula Simnani (1261-1336 AD – an Irani opponent of Ibn-al Arabi) – but further propagated by Shaikh Ahmed in Indo-Pak
Ideological war –

Mujaddid’s thought did not find much popularity in the sub-continent as:*

Chishti traditions of Wahdat-ul-Wajud were too strong;

His theory of Wahdat-ul-Shahud was orthodox religious approach which gave set back to Sufis to create harmony between Hindus and Muslims.

IMPACT ON THE HISTORY
First person who propounded the idea of Muslim nationalism in India
Advocate of Muslim separatism – distinctive image
Akbar’s heterodoxy –> Aurangzeb’s orthodoxy rather than laissez faire policy of Babur / Humanyun – gradual transformation -
Akbar was a liberal – Aurangzeb was a fundamentalist (imposed jizyah on non-Muslims)

Conclusion
The movement was taken forward by Shah Waliullah and Syed Ahmed Shaheed – ultimately head way to destination of Pakistan movement.
The movement restored Shariah;

Islam became a symbol of Muslim unity;

His movement influenced future movements and shaped the destiny of the Muslims of India;

ASP Shabir