View Single Post
Old Tuesday, January 08, 2013
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 834 Posts
HASEEB ANSARI is a glorious beacon of lightHASEEB ANSARI is a glorious beacon of lightHASEEB ANSARI is a glorious beacon of lightHASEEB ANSARI is a glorious beacon of lightHASEEB ANSARI is a glorious beacon of light

Quranic Verses on Riba (Interest/Usury)

(1) "Those who swallow down usury cannot arise except as one whom Shaitan has prostrated by (his) touch does rise. That is because they say, trading is only like usury; and Allah has allowed trading and forbidden usury. To whomsoever then the admonition has come from his Lord, then he desists, he shall have what has already passed, and his affair is in the hands of Allah; and whoever returns (to it)-- these arc the inmates of the fire; they shall abide in it." (Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse 275)

(2) "Allah does not bless usury, and He causes charitable deeds to prosper, and Allah does not love any ungrateful sinner. " (Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #276)

(3) "O you who believe! Be careful of (your duty to) Allah and relinquish what remains (due) from usury, if you are believers." (Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #278)

(4) "O you who believe! do not devour usury, making it double and redouble, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, that you may be successful." (Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #130)

(5) "And their taking usury though indeed they were forbidden it and their devouring the property of people falsely, and We have prepared for the unbelievers from among them a painful chastisement." (An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #161)

(6) "And whatever you lay out as usury, so that it may increase in the property of men, it shall not increase with Allah; and whatever you give in charity, desiring Allah's pleasure-- it is these (persons) that shall get manifold." (Ar-Room, Chapter #30, Verse #39)

Ahadith on Riba

1. Narrated by Abu Juhaifa The Prophet forbade the use of the price of blood and the price of a dog, the one who takes (eats) usury the one who gives usury, the woman who practises tattooing and the woman who gets herself tattooed. (Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.829)

2. Narrated byAbuHurayrah Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "On the night when I was taken up to Heaven I came upon people whose bellies were like houses and contained snakes which could be seen from outside their bellies. I asked Gabriel who they were and he told me that they were people who had practised usury." Ahmad and Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2828 )

3. Narrated byAbuHurayrah Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "Usury has seventy parts, the least important being that a man should marry his mother." Ibn Majah and Bayhaqi, transmitted it in Shu'ab al-Iman. (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2826)

4. Narrated byAbdullah ibn Hanzalah ; Abdullah ibn Abbas Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "A dirham which a man knowingly receives in usury is more serious than thirty-six acts of fornication." Ibn Abbas's version adds that he said, "Hell is more fitting for him whose flesh is nourished by what is unlawful." Ahmad and Daraqutni transmitted it. Bayhaqi transmitted in Shu'ab al-Iman on the authority of Ibn Abbas. (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2825)

5. What Is Not Permitted of Free Loans Malik related to me that he had heard that Abdullah ibn Masud used to say, "If someone makes a loan, they should not stipulate better than it. Even if it is a handful of grass, it is usury." Malik said, "The generally agreed on way of doing things among us is that there is no harm in borrowing any animals with a set description and itemisation, and one must return the like of them. This is not done in the case of female slaves. It is feared about that that it will lead to making halal what is not halal, so it is not good. The explanation of what is disapproved of in that, is that a man borrow a slave-girl and have intercourse with her as seems proper to him. Then he returns her to her owner. That is not good and it is not halal. The people of knowledge still forbid it and do not give an indulgence to any one in it." (Al-Muwatta Hadith 31.95)

6. Narrated byAbu Juhaifa The Prophet cursed the lady who practices tattooing and the one who gets herself tattooed, and one who eats (takes) Riba' (usury) and the one who gives it. And he prohibited taking the price of a dog, and the money earned by prostitution, and cursed the makers of pictures. (Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.259)

7. Narrated byIbn Abbas The last Verse (in the Qur'an) revealed to the Prophet was the Verse dealing with usury (i.e. Riba). (Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 6.67 )

8. Narrated byAbu Huraira The Prophet said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." They (the people) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they?" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to practice sorcery; to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law); to eat up usury (Riba), to eat up the property of an orphan; to give one's back to the enemy and fleeing from the battlefield at the time of fighting and to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers." (Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 8.840)

9. Narrated bySa'id ibn Zayd The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The most prevalent kind of usury is going to lengths in talking unjustly against a Muslim's honour. (Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 4858 )

10. Narrated byAbu Burda When I came to Medina, I met Abdullah bin Salam. He said, "Will you come to me so that I may serve you with Sawiq (i.e. powdered barley) and dates, and let you enter a (blessed) house that in which the Prophet entered?" Then he added, "You are in a country where the practice of Riba (i.e. usury) is prevalent; so if somebody owes you something and he sends you a present of a load of chopped straw or a load of barley or a load of provender then do not take it, as it is Riba." (Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 5.159 )

11. Narrated byAbdullah ibn Mas'ud The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) cursed the one who accepted usury, the one who paid it, the witness to it, and the one who recorded it. (Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3327 )

12. Narrated byAbuUmamah The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: If anyone intercedes for his brother and he presents a gift to him for it and he accepts it, he approaches a great door of the doors of usury. (Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3534 )

13. Narrated byAbuHurayrah The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A time is certainly coming to mankind when only the receiver of usury will remain, and if he does not receive it, some of its vapour will reach him. Ibn Isa said: Some of its dust will reach him. (Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3325)

14. Narrated byAli ibn AbuTalib Ali heard Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) curse those who took usury, those who paid it, those who recorded it, and those who refused to give sadaqah. And he used to prohibit wailing. Nasa'i transmitted it. (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2829)
"Nay! man is evidence against himself. Though he puts forth his excuses." Holy Qur'an (75:14-15)