View Single Post
Old Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nisar Ali is on a distinguished road

Dear Nasrullah,
I have never bragged that my English composition is simply IMPECCABLE. I like such criticism. However, I absolutely disagree with you at your recommendations for these:
Of the 44 American presidents, none was a woman (Of all the 44 presidents of America woman was none!) “woman was none!” this part makes the sentence simply nonsensical and farcical in my meager knowledge.
“Working on the farms (works on farms), unpaid and unappreciated”. I have used a simple sentence by using the second action in present participle. Your suggestion makes the sentence compound. Therefore, it is not the question of whether I am right or you. It is a matter of choice and preference. Using simple sentences by installing gerunds is my preferred way.
“A woman, Benazir Bhutto, had been a two-term Prime Minister of Pakistan (had been the Prime Minister of Pakistan for two terms). In the present government of the country (in the present government), a woman, Hinna Rabbani Khar, heads the foreign ministry.” I am not cocksure but the expression “a two-term PM of Pakistan” is okay. Your recommendation “(had been the Prime Minister of Pakistan for two terms)” is smooth and lengthy to a minuscule extent. This recommendation of yours is at a bit variance with the second recommendation here. In this expression “In the present government of the country (in the present government)” by axing out “of the government” you have reduced my word count. This is very okay with me. I appreciate it.
'Violence to' is not the right expression. I admit.
Please supply recommendation with explanation so that I should not misconstrue your intentions.
Keep on telling me such things, dost.