View Single Post
Old Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Yasser28 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Denigrating Pakistan

THREE letters on this subject have appeared in these columns: two by ‘A Reader’ who wishes to remain shrouded in anonymity and one by Ms Qamar. The ‘Reader’ is most offended by Ardeshir Cowasjee’s remarks on population growth with reference to Prof Spencer’s annotations of “reproduced like rabbits”.

Actually in its correct Englishness the expression commonly goes as “breeding like rabbits”. Mr Cowasjee has been polite enough to tone it down and not offend people’s sensibilities.

With reference to population, the ‘Reader’ may look at a website called ‘World Population’, which provides very meaningful statistics. Its analyses show that populations in the developed world double themselves in 800 years (the slowest being Austria which would take 2,000 years), while the ‘bhooka-nangas’ of the developing world manage to double theirs in 50 to 100 years; Pakistan takes the cake and does it in 25 years.

How would one describe this exceptional performance which we Pakistanis (one-third living under the poverty line) seem to be doing with a passion. I leave the choice of suitable expression to the ‘Reader’ to fill the blanks: “breed like … … … ”.

It is universally accepted that all writers, critics and historians in their description do add their personal opinions, which at times may seem exaggerated but unless we give them this latitude, most such writings would become insipid narrations with inventories of events and tabulations.

The ‘Reader’ seems to be even more upset by the mention of philanthropy of the Zoroastrian community by Mr Cowasjee in his columns. How unfortunate. In fact, this is something which every Pakistani is very proud of. The philanthropic contributions of this miniscule community which forms less than 0.0001 per cent of Pakistan’s population are innumerable.

The contributions of the Zoroastrian and the Hindu community towards this land have been amazing and distinctly evident. Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Dyal Singh College, Dyal Singh Public Library, Spencer Eye Hospital, Sobhraj Maternity Home, Lady Dufferin Hospital, and Sir Jehangir Kothari Parade and Sir Kavasji Katrak Band Stand at Clifton are just a few from a long list.

As Pakistanis, our heads should hang in shame if we have not accorded due respect and recognition to their contributions. The two prestigious educational institutions of the country, Nadirshaw Eduljee Dinshaw University of Engineering and Technology and Dayamal Jethamal Science College have audaciously been reduced to being officially addressed as NED University of Engineering and Technology and D.J. Science College with students leaving the portals armed with professional degrees yet clueless of the benefactors.

How would the ‘Reader’ react if his engineering college in Karachi was reduced to being officially called D. Engineering College?

The last 20 years, however, has seen increasing participation of Muslim community in social work, which is extremely heartening. Being a social worker myself, who has been involved in a number of fund-generating exercises, I can testify that whilst the Zoroastrians continue to contribute at the same pace, Muslims have now started to contribute substantially.

My mind always questions as to why these communities should be doing so much of social work? It appears that, at least partly, it is linked to their belief in `after-death’ association of the ‘soul’ with this world, viz., ‘reincarnation’ among Hindus and ‘revisit of soul’ among Zoroastrians.

Maybe these two communities thus would like to leave a memorable mark on this earth for their ‘soul’ to ‘see’ on its return. The Muslims, on the contrary, believe that after death their ‘souls’ go to heavens/hell without any link with this earth. I would appreciate if someone can correct me, in case my perception is wrong.

http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/25/letted.htm#6