View Single Post
Old Saturday, November 19, 2005
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Appreciation

Diplomat is on a distinguished road

I have a general advice for all of you to opt for the subjects that you had studied in graduation and masters. It is always easy to cover a subject that you have studied earlier then to go for a totally new subject. Further you might have disliked a subject earlier in graduation or masters but if it is scoring and it can be covered in short period of time then go for it. Now I would like to answer questions asked by two members of this forum.

Mr. Zia

As you have done MPA so you must opt for Public Administration. It is an easy and scoring subject. You might not be knowing that this subject is taught in Civil Servants Academy as well. Statistics is also a scoring subject. As far as Physics and Maths are concerned that I am not in position to give any advice but I would like to say that these subjects have mostly given tough time to those who opted for them. You can opt for other easy subjects like IR, Sociology and Journalism.

You have asked about English improvement. I have written this thing in another post as well that the more you read the better you write. Believe me English is backbone of Competitive Exam. If someone is good in English then he has a fair chance to pass but if someone is weak in English then it is certain that he will fail. You are saying that you are continuing other things like job along with preparation. I will suggest to focus on your preparation. If you see a career in your current job then do continue it but it is an ordinary job and you are doing it just for the sake of experience then I will suggest better to quit and give full time to prepartion. Attempting competitive exam is itself a wonderful experience. I have given twice and I really enjoyed it. As far as job is concerned your preparation for Competitive exam will make you competent enough to get a good job in private sector later on. I think this much is enough for you.

Ms Marium

As you are an MBA so go for Business Admistration. It is quite easy and scoring. From the syllabus it seems lengthy but it is not. Check past papers and you will find that quite general and easy questions are asked. I opted it in both attempts and got 67 in first attempt. Lets see how much I get this time. Further journalism and advertising are quite related. If you are MBA marketing then journalism will be a piece of cake for you. Other easy and scoring subjects are IR and Sociology. If you have interest in foreign service then do opt for IR.