View Single Post
Old Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2007Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,082 Times in 760 Posts
Sureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to all

Adverb Clauses

Dependent clauses can function as adverbs. In this case, they are called adverb clauses. (Bet I didn't surprise you with that one.) An adverb clause is a dependent clause that describes a verb, adjective, or another adverb. As with regular old garden-variety adverbs, an adverb clause answers these questions:

Quote:
Where?
Why?
When?
To what extent?
Under what condition?
In what manner?

All adverb clauses start with a subordinating conjunction. You reviewed some of the most common subordinating conjunctions in the previous section; here are a few more that you can use to link ideas and show how they are related:

Quote:
As long as
As soon as
As though
In

Examples :

You can place an adverb clause in the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. Refer to these examples of adverb clauses as you fashion your own.

Wherever she goes, she leaves a piece of luggage behind.
The adverb clause “wherever she goes” modifies the verb “leaves.”

Bob enjoyed the movie more than I did.
The adverb clause “than I did” modifies the adverb “more.”

Prince wanted to change his name because too many dogs answered when he was called.
The adverb clause “because too many dogs answered when he was called” modifies the verb “wanted.”

Shape Up Your Sentences

You sweat for rock-hard abs, firm pecs, and a tight, uh, southern hemisphere. Why not give your sentences a good workout to make them as healthy as your bod? Adverb clauses can help you eliminate sentence flab. For instance:

Two sentences: Sean Connery had worked as both a bricklayer and a truck driver. This was before he became the original James Bond.

One sentence: Before he became the original James Bond, Sean Connery had worked as both a bricklayer and a truck driver.

Adjective Clauses

Here's another type of clause: the adjective clause. Like adverb clauses, adjective clauses are of the dependent variety.

Adjective clauses describe nouns and pronouns. They add detail to sentences by functioning as adjectives. Obviously, you can tell an adjective clause by its function, but there's also another little clue: Most adjective clauses start with the pronouns who, whom, whose, which, that, when, or where. Adjective clauses that begin with one of the relative pronouns are also called relative clauses.

Here are some other pronouns that can start an adjective clause:

Quote:
Whoever
Whomever
Whichever
What
Whatever
Why

You can identify an adjective clause because it answers the adjective questions: “Which one?” or “What kind?”

Here are some examples of adjective clauses:

The only one of the seven dwarfs who does not have a beard is Dopey.
The adjective clause “who does not have a beard” describes the noun “one.”

I found a quiet, secluded place where we can meet.
The adjective clause “where we can meet” describes the noun “place.”

It never rains on days when my garden needs watering.
The adjective clause “when my garden needs watering” describes the noun “days.”

Relative Clauses:

Adjective clauses that begin with one of the relative pronouns are also called relative clauses. Here are the relative pronouns: who, whom, whose, which, and that.

As you learned in Parts of Speech, relative pronouns connect (or “relate”—get it?) an adjective clause to the word the clause describes. In addition, relative pronouns function within the clause as an adjective, subject, direct object, or object of a preposition. For instance:

1. Relative pronoun as an adjective:

The boy whose book I borrowed is very hunky.
The relative clause “whose book I borrowed” describes the noun “boy.”

2. Relative pronoun as a subject:

The bird that is soaring in the sky is a seagull.
The relative clause “that is soaring in the sky” functions as a subject.

3. Relative pronoun as a direct object:

The book that you panned is really very good.
The relative clause “that you panned” is the direct object of the subject “you.”

4. Relative pronoun as the object of a preposition:

The woman of whom you spoke is my boss.
The relative clause “whom you spoke” is the object of the preposition “of.”

Clauses Make the Sentence

As with adverb clauses, you can use adjective clauses to link ideas, combine information, and create more effective sentences. In addition to adding description to sentences, adjective clauses allow you to create relationships between ideas. Here's an example:

Two sentences: “Rock Around the Clock” was released by Bill Haley and the Comets in 1955. “Rock Around the Clock” is often called the first big rock-and-roll hit.

One sentence: “Rock Around the Clock,” which is often called the first big rock-and-roll hit, was released by Bill Haley and the Comets in 1955.

Noun Clauses

Not to be left out of the fun, nouns also have their own clause. Just as you would expect, a noun clause is a dependent clause that functions as a noun. Because it functions as a noun, this clause can be a subject, direct object, indirect object, object of a preposition, predicate nominative, or appositive. For instance:

No one understands why experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
The noun clause “why experience is something you don't get until just after you need it” functions as a direct object.

Where the candy bar is hidden remains a mystery.
The noun clause “where the candy bar is hidden” functions as the subject of the sentence.

The instructor gave whoever got their papers in early extra credit.
The noun clause “whoever got their papers in early” functions as an indirect object.

Connect the Dots

Clauses can also be used to express comparisons. When such clauses imply some of the words rather than state them outright, you have created an elliptical clause. The name “elliptical” comes from the word ellipsis, which means “omission.” For example:

The other members of the demonstration were as angry as I.
Insert the missing word was after “I.”

The social climber feared the judgment of the decorator more than the cost of the project.
Insert the missing subject and verb “he (or she) feared” after the word than.

Elliptical clauses come in different flavors: adverb, adjective, and noun. Here's how you can recognize them.

Type of Clause ------------------ What's Omitted

Adverb clause --------------------- Subject, verb, or either one
Adjective clause -------------------The words that, which, whom
Noun clause -------------------Subject, verb, or the second half of the comparison

The mark of punctuation called an ellipsis is three spaced dots (…). It's used to show that something has been intentionally omitted from a sentence. Elliptical clauses don't use the three spaced dots of the ellipsis; instead, the elliptical clause just swipes the name of the ellipsis and adopts its function in the way it structures a sentence by omitting certain words.

Elliptical clauses help create concise writing and speech. In these days when many people have a lot to say but say little, we want to support the use of the elliptical clause as much as possible.
pisceankhan (Thursday, October 29, 2015)