View Single Post
Old Thursday, July 04, 2013

J Hussain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsgharKhan View Post
I wonder, then, that why people having masters in Economics replace it with other subjects. It explicitly reveals the fact that having Masters degree in Economics is nothing but a waste of time, energy and resources. Why, then, are we flogging the dead horse? One must go for a subject which clears path for the future.
I have a four years Bachelors degree in Economics and I'm very much proud of my decision. People ask me for budget analysis, economic aspects like they don't even know what GDP is and a lot more. Secondly, comrades are required to study economics in CTP which is compulsory to become a CSP. Even in DMG STP, one is required to study Economics in length. Why would the civil service academies focus so much on a dead subject?

Regarding job avenues other than CSS, there are a lot of options which I was introduced to without being an MBA. Not forgetting the fact that only an insignificant number if people finally make it to allocation. If one doesn't get allocated even after three attempts, one with majors in Economics can always take GAT, GRE and a whole new world of opportunities is opened for them.

If you talk at Bachelors level, lets compare the future or status of other degree holders like BSc Chemistry, BA Philosophy, IR etc. Which special job opportunities are opened for them except for teaching? Even after Masters in subjects like English Literature, one ends up being a teacher, coordinator etc. Take the case of doctors now. Firstly, the miseries of doctors are reflected through the hue and cry of YDA. Secondly, if its that good of a field why do doctors go for CSS? The same goes for engineers. What do they achieve with their positive sciences background? It's only hard-work, preservation, determination and strength of character which enables you to achieve your goals.

Economics has a future, this is the reason it is the most taken up subject by students in under-grad unis of the USA and UK. The prevalence of different schools of thought in Economics shows the amount of research put in the subject. Moreover, there are many schools of thought in Psychology, Sociology as well and I'm sure you do know that these subjects are super popular as optionals among CSS aspirants.

So yeah I believe in Economics with full optimism and zest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Hussain For This Useful Post:
noaman saleem (Thursday, July 04, 2013), uzma rana (Thursday, July 04, 2013)