View Single Post
Old Monday, July 15, 2013
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2012 Roll no. 10987 Merit 101

Psycho Empire will become famous soon enough

Fahad:
If I'm asked to make one amendment to structure of CsS exam, I'll do away with optional subjects. The reason is abundantly obvious:one is totally reliant on the scoring trend and the wishes and whims of the paper setter.
Examples are myriad: US history and geography in my case. I opted these two subjects just because of their straight forward, to the point and oft-repeated questions. In 2012, both these papers seemed to be set by an alien- someone who didn't know that besides these two papers we have goth appear for 9 other papers as well. Interestingly, the checker, unlike the paper setter, had mercy on us and was generous enough to give marks which atleast I didn't deserve.
It has almost become a cliche that regional languages are scoring. I prepared well for Pushto , attempted it very well and to my utter dismay ways given 43 marks. So, brother opting subjects is a part of gamble we call Css.
In 2010, those who opted INDO Pak history were ruined despite fact that they were very satisfied with their attempt. Same was the case with ACCOUNTANCY. I believe Omar Khan had been a victim that year.
So , brother, if you allow I'll rephrase your query: what are the better options for CSS 2014.
Now, if you go through International Law, it seems an interesting subject though it needs cramming, I believe. The scoring trend for international law is very good. Now this is the very fact that discourages me from advising this subject to any friend. As they say" every dog has its day", so it seems IL has seen its heydays. Either the paper setter will wake up the candidates to reality by setting a paper that would entail a very deep study to score well, or the checker will be as parsimonious with marks as Scrooge.
Same are my views about JORNALISM. 2010 proved to be doomsday for those who opted journalism. 2011 and 2012 have been kind so the result of 2013 will show that whats the fate of journalism.
Now the case for Sociology is totally reverse: 2012 was not a benevolent year for sociologists. So I hope, it is not penalised any further.
US HISTORY: the paper, like all past years barring 2012, was sweet and simple, living upto it's reputation. Now let's see, what womb of time holds for those who appeared in US history in 2013.
Now there is one important difference between two groups of subjects.
Group 1: sociology, journalism, public administration.
Group 2: history and physical sciences.
You don't need to pay much time for preparation. Even if you are I'll prepared, and even after seeing the paper you are convinced that you don't know answers to most of the questions, you can expect to score well. You see, these are opinion based subjects, and all that matters is your opinion and attempt. Well, no doubt, building a sound opinion entails preparation , but still you won't atleast state at other candidates if you don't know the exact answers. In Us history I managed to attempt only 2 long question and one short question. I really could not attempt any other question. A cousin of mine attempted all 4 question, with the logic that something is better than nothing, his score was worse than mine.
In sociology , a friend of mine swore that he really couldn't grasp the meaning of atleast 18 objectives let alone giving a correct answer. Long questions were attempted as if he were just having a chat with a friend; he had a poor preparation, still he managed to score 49.
One added advantage of group1 is that suppose you are an unlucky guy and no matter what u opt for, you' ll be ruined. In opting group1 subject atleast you wouldn't have lost so much time on preparation. That time can be given to any other subject, say eDs, and low score of the optional can be compensated in EDS. I hope, you ate getting my point.
To cut it short: choose between International Law, journalism and sociology.
PS: these were my two cents based on my own experience and observation. I may be cent percent wrong. I just poured My heart out with no I'll intentions. Use your own judgement , choose one and then stick to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psycho Empire For This Useful Post:
Descendant of Saul (Tuesday, July 16, 2013)