View Single Post
Old Wednesday, July 31, 2013
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaidd View Post
Media outlets should not be patriotic. They should be objective.

There is an example of a major international "patriotic" news channel. It's called Fox News and it's the laughing-stock of the world.

Television channels are only motivated by one factor - profit. For profit, they need good ratings. For that, they need a lot of people to watch their channel most of the time. And in order to do that, they churn out material that most people are most likely to watch. It's pretty circular. The garbage spewed out by most television channels is a reflection of us - it's what we want to watch.

It's actually pretty disappointing to watch young, educated people calling for the government to take action against the "unpatriotic" media. Where are we living - Nazi Germany, China or North Korea? We should be mature enough to accept a diversity of opinions, even if we consider them "unpatriotic". After all, what's patriotic for me can be treasonous for someone else. Especially the Zaid Hamid crowd.
Respected Member, I hereby disagree from you for the following reasons:

You mean to say media is not doing anything wrong, media shows us what we want to watch. pretty strong an argument.....Your reasoning is very good but unfortunately one of your premises is fallacious which weak your argument. What media shows us is not what we want to watch.

There is certainly a concept called Public Demand, but my friedn there is also a concept called Fabricated Demand.....This latter type of demand is not made from public rather it is created and later proliferated in public.

Who wanted Aamir Liaqat to call Taher Shah in his so called Ramzan transmission then insult him like a illiterate? I hope not a huge chunk of Pakistani public would have written to Geo news or Aamir Liaqat for that! That wasn't public demand.

Who from Pakistani public had asked Geo news or other mass media to go out of its way to prove Ajmal Qassab a Pakistani? Public demand?

Ok public demand i understand, but 50 Million US $ is a hell of an amount buddy, i don't think US would like to promote patriotic sentiment among Pakistani masses by giving that amount to media?

My friend media is a pillar of state alongwith Judiciary, Exective, and Legislature. If these pillars are meant to promote public interest and consolidate the foundations of the state then media also has to be the spearhead of promoting national interest.

You have a misunderstanding that we here are asking for media to play such a role that Nazi or Fasci media did, No we are not asking for that. We are not asking for media to promote Nationalism in such a way that it becomes harmful for other nations. We just want the media to act like Pakistani media. That's it.....Ajmal Qassab and Mombai attacks have proved to be the projects of Indian Govt itself, what our media did in the aftremaths of Mumbai attacks, i was seriously taken aback whether this is Indian media or Pakistani.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bilal Hassan For This Useful Post:
Malik Ubaidullah (Wednesday, July 31, 2013), tajmeer (Wednesday, July 31, 2013), zarenafazaal (Wednesday, July 31, 2013)