View Single Post
Old Saturday, August 18, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2007Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,082 Times in 760 Posts
Sureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to all

Past Continuous Tense

The past continuous tense is an important tense in English. We use it to say what we were in the middle of doing at a particular moment in the past.

How do we make the Past Continuous Tense?

Quote:
The structure of the past continuous tense is:

subject + auxiliary verb BE (simple past) + main verb (ing form)

For negative sentences in the past continuous tense, we insert not between the auxiliary verb and main verb. For question sentences, we exchange the subject and auxiliary verb. Look at these example sentences with the past continuous tense:

subject ______ auxiliary verb _______ main verb

+ _____ I ___________ was ______________ watching TV.
+ ____You _________ were ______________ working hard.
- ___He, she, it ____ was not _____________ helping Mary.
- _____We ________ were not _______________ joking.
? ____Were you _________________________ being silly?
? ____Were they ______________________ playing football?

How do we use the Past Continuous Tense?

The past continuous tense expresses action at a particular moment in the past. The action started before that moment but has not finished at that moment. For example, yesterday I watched a film on TV. The film started at 7pm and finished at 9pm.

At 8pm yesterday, I was watching TV.
(At 8pm, I was in the middle of watching TV.)

When we use the past continuous tense, our listener usually knows or understands what time we are talking about. Look at these examples:

I was working at 10pm last night.
They were not playing football at 9am this morning.
What were you doing at 10pm last night?
What were you doing when he arrived?
She was cooking when I telephoned her.
We were having dinner when it started to rain.
Ram went home early because it was snowing.

We often use the past continuous tense to "set the scene" in stories. We use it to describe the background situation at the moment when the action begins. Often, the story starts with the past continuous tense and then moves into the simple past tense. Here is an example:

" James Bond was driving through town. It was raining. The wind was blowing hard. Nobody was walking in the streets. Suddenly, Bond saw the killer in a telephone box..."

Past Continuous Tense + Simple Past Tense

We often use the past continuous tense with the simple past tense. We use the past continuous tense to express a long action. And we use the simple past tense to express a short action that happens in the middle of the long action. We can join the two ideas with when or while.

In the following example, we have two actions:

1. long action (watching TV), expressed with past continuous tense
2. short action (telephoned), expressed with simple past tense

We can join these two actions with when:

I was watching TV when you telephoned.
(Notice that "when you telephoned" is also a way of defining the time [8pm].)

We use:

when + short action (simple past tense)
while + long action (past continuous tense)

There are four basic combinations:

I was walking past the car when it exploded
When the car exploded I was walking past it.
The car exploded while I was walking past it.
While I was walking past the car it exploded.

Notice that the long action and short action are relative.

"Watching TV" took a few hours. "Telephoned" took a few seconds.
"Walking past the car" took a few seconds. "Exploded" took a few milliseconds.

to be continued (Past Perfect Tense)
K KOUSAR (Wednesday, May 18, 2016), mujipak (Monday, May 30, 2011), Naheedmir (Monday, October 19, 2020), rao saadia (Wednesday, November 21, 2012), SABIHA JAVED (Tuesday, November 22, 2011)